Upgrading custom gaming computer help

Fauxcaptain

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
It has been about 4 years since I built my current gaming PC and i feel it's time to explore some upgrading opportunities.I'm really looking to upgrade my PC so i can run most games on Max graphics and be able to stream at 1080+ without having any CPU issues. My current computer build is this:

Motherboard

Asus Z97-A

CPU

Intel Core i5-4690K

RAM

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz

Video Card

XFX Radeon R9 290 Black Edition 4GB

Hard Drive

WD Blue 1 TB

Optical Drive

Asus 24x DVD Burner

Case

Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower

Power Supply

Thermaltake - SMART Series 850-Watt ATX Power Supply

Right now i get pretty good gameplay but find running on max graphics on some games isn't smooth. I would like to upgrade my CPU but i'm not versed enough to tell what else in my build needs replaced to accommodate an i7 and if I'll need to get a new motherboard as i'm not super experienced in PC hardware but I'm good at following directions.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
Could my i5 be bottlenecking my GPU?
I don't play the Smite. But from what I know for the multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) games, you should get the i7 for best game experience. So you can use the software, like MSI afterburner to check what usage is for either the cpu or gpu, during the game. If the cpu is more than 90%, then you know the cpu is bottlenecking the GPU.

Because you want to gaming and streaming games, then you will need the i7 or the AMD ryzen7. For less money, get the i7 4790K, for best games/streaming game, get new gen i7+MB+DDR4 RAM, but it depends on what you want, and the budget too.

Also keep an eye on the Thermaltake PSU, because it is not the good PSU. If it is your PSU in that review...

Fauxcaptain

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
Hi cin19, thanks for your response. Could my i5 be bottlenecking my GPU? The game i currently play the most is Smite and i know that's a heavy CPU game. I would eventually like to stream the game at a high resolution as well as experience smooth gameplay. I also have one cooling fan at the back of my tower. I'm not at home currently but will get the specs when i get home.

Also to upgrade my PC to an 8th or 9th gen i7, would i have to start from scratch? My budget can be flexible but that will depend on when i can get all the parts.

Could my i5 be bottlenecking my GPU?
I don't play the Smite. But from what I know for the multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) games, you should get the i7 for best game experience. So you can use the software, like MSI afterburner to check what usage is for either the cpu or gpu, during the game. If the cpu is more than 90%, then you know the cpu is bottlenecking the GPU.

Because you want to gaming and streaming games, then you will need the i7 or the AMD ryzen7. For less money, get the i7 4790K, for best games/streaming game, get new gen i7+MB+DDR4 RAM, but it depends on what you want, and the budget too.

Also keep an eye on the Thermaltake PSU, because it is not the good PSU. If it is your PSU in that review. https://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/06/16/thermaltake_smart_sp850m_850w_power_supply_review/1

I added the reviews for references.
https://www.techspot.com/review/1526-intel-4th-gen-core-i7-vs-8th-gen/
https://www.techspot.com/review/1730-intel-core-i9-9900k-core-i7-9700k/

Solution

Fauxcaptain

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

So i just played about a 30 minute game of smite and here are the MSI Afterbunner results:
GPU Temp Max: 167
GPU Usage % max:100
Memory Usage Max: 995mb
Core Clock Max: 980 MHz
Memory Clock max: 1250 MHz
Fan Speed % max: 76
Fan Tachometer Max: 2742 RPM
CPU1 temp Max: 201 F
CPU2 Temp Max: 187F
CPU3 temp max: 185 F
CPU 4 temp max: 181F
CPU temp max: 198F
CPU(1,2,3,4) Usage max: 100%
CPU(1,2,3,4) Clock Max: 3695 MHz
CPU Power max: 57.6 W
Ram Usage Max: 5231 MB
Commit Charge Max: 7075 MB

So if my GPU and my CPU usage is 100%, is that signifying that i need to upgrade both?

First your cpu temp is too high, the safe temp is 72.72C (163F). https://ark.intel.com/products/80811/Intel-Core-i5-4690K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3-90-GHz-

Late I found the Smite is the cpu intensive by google, and I don't know why your gpu also got 100% usage too. Did you set vsync off or on when you run the game? You may try one more time with vsync off. By the way the GPU temp is good.

So you will need the i7, aftermarket cpu cooler, GPU(?), PSU (?), and new MB+ new RAM if you are going to buy the new gen i7.

Fauxcaptain

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

So if i buy the i7( CPU) with a Coolermaster hyper 212 evo, i should be good?

Fauxcaptain

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

Thanks! Also, if i do end up upgrading to 7th or 8th Gen CPU, do you have recommendations on builds /components are the best?

Fauxcaptain

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

Awesome. Would i need to upgrade anything else in my current build?

Get one sata 500GB SSD or other 2X8GB RAM, sell the old one. If you buy other single stick RAM, you may or may not have the compatibility problem until you install the new RAM. Or GPU even the r9 290 is still good for you need, but it does draw more power.

Fauxcaptain

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

So I think for now i'm going to go with the i7-4790k and get a Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler. That should give me a boost in CPU while also solving the CPU heat issue, right?