Jul 9, 2019
Hey everyone,

I know I'm going to catch some heat for attempting this config at all but bear with me, I think there is a solution here that makes sense.

I have:
a Dell Optiplex SFF 7010 3rd Gen Core i5 - 8GB RAM / 1TB Hard Drive
a GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 1GB GDDR5

The problem:
a 240W stock PSU with no free molex or other power out connectors, and an older graphics card which 1. draws 110W and 2. needs a 6 pin PCI-E power in

Options:
  1. Switch cases and PSUs, bleh bc the Dell Mobo is so unique
  2. Find a 750 Ti LP (I would do this but I can't find one anywhere online, like at all. Perhaps someone has a lead on one?)
  3. Upgrade the PSU to a 400W unit and run it externally, with a PCI riser to the GPU (also externally mounted?)
I like option 3 but I am trying to do this as cheaply as possible so I'd like input from the community, especially anyone who's battled this before, thanks!

One note: I need to be able to run 3 monitors with this setup so the GPU, whatever it ends up being, must have output for 3 displays. The 650 ti boost has support for 4.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019
I don't disagree that starting over would be the right way to do it, but in fairness it's a decent machine running 310+ cinebench single core scores and I'm more interested in the challenge of making this work than having a pretty rig. Its quad i5 not i3 btw

Jul 9, 2019
Yeah I'm surprised and pleased with how well it's working. It's stable too (so far) haha. I did have to crank up the fan speed curve in Afterburner because the GPU was running a little hot. Thats under control now. Ill post a picture of what the setup looks like in a bit

Reactions: maxamillionfeettall