[SOLVED] Upgrading Dell Studio 540 to play Fortnite

Dec 1, 2019
Hi
I am trying to upgrade my Dell Studio 540 desktop to allow my kids to play Fortnite game. When I click on the game after installation I get the error message "dx11 feature level 10 required to run engine". To fix it ,I upgrade my video card driver to latest software, updated my Windows 7 to recent service pack and it still doesn't fix it. Below are my specs:

Machine: Dell Studio 540
Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM)2 Quad CPU Q9400 @2.66Hz (4CPUS)
Memory: 6GB
Display GPU: Intel (R) G45/G43 Express Chipset, Chiptype: INtel (R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, Approx Total Memory: 1695MB, 1080p, DirectX Version: DirectX 11,
DirectX features: DIrectDraw Acceleration: Enabled, Direct3D Acceleration: Enabled, AGP Texture Acceleration: Enabled.

Please let me know what has to be done to upgrade this PC to play the game Fortnite?

Solution
The problem is that the psu is non standard form factor(the cable is standard) so adding a gpu with a 6 pin to a ancient 350w psu probably isn't the best idea. Stick with looking for the gtx 750 or gtx 1030.

Also minimum requirements don't mean anything really, most games play well under minimum.
Hi
I am trying to upgrade my Dell Studio 540 desktop to allow my kids to play Fortnite game. When I click on the game after installation I get the error message "dx11 feature level 10 required to run engine". To fix it ,I upgrade my video card driver to latest software, updated my Windows 7 to recent service pack and it still doesn't fix it. Below are my specs:

Machine: Dell Studio 540
Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM)2 Quad CPU Q9400 @2.66Hz (4CPUS)
Memory: 6GB
Display GPU: Intel (R) G45/G43 Express Chipset, Chiptype: INtel (R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, Approx Total Memory: 1695MB, 1080p, DirectX Version: DirectX 11,
DirectX features: DIrectDraw Acceleration: Enabled, Direct3D Acceleration: Enabled, AGP Texture Acceleration: Enabled.

Please let me know what has to be done to upgrade this PC to play the game Fortnite?
Since you only have a350w psu from the looks of it, try to look for a gtx 750ti, gt 1030 or a r7 360, rx 460/550/560. The amd cards can sometimes have difficulty working on legacy bios systems, so I would look for the nvidia cards first. Don't invest much more into that system, it is long over the hill.

You cant play fortnite with those specs, buy a new computer.
For the most part YES but it's Christmas time and money is tight. I get it

The amd cards can sometimes have difficulty working on legacy bios systems, so I would look for the nvidia cards first
You do not have UEFI Bios

Stick with Nvidia GTX 960 $60.00 used market
Later move on to better newer system wish I could say more to upgrade and don't buy any memory your system is ddr2 stay where you are with that.

You are not going to be able to play fortnite without hardware changes. Even if the game opened, it would not run well.

Your CPU is alright for Fortnite if not ideal.

You should buy 8gb ram and a gpu like a gt1030 that is cheap, runs fortnite, and works on any psu.

Fortnite System Requirements: Recommended Requirements
  • Operating System: Windows 7/8/10 64-bit.
  • Processor Core: i5 2.8 Ghz.
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM.
  • Video Card: Nvidia GTX 660 or AMD Radeon HD 7870 equivalent DX11 GPU.
  • Video Memory: 2 GB VRAM.
MSI GeForce GT 710 DirectX 12 MSI-GT7101GD3HLP 1GB 64-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Video Card

That's just disappointment waiting to happen.

lynx1021

Distinguished
A XFX branded RX460 4GB will run on a legacy bios, I picked up two earlier this year used on EBAY for around $60 for my Socket 775 rigs , se my signature, You have to have a 6 pin power cord or an adapter to run it, My PSU had it.

The problem is that the psu is non standard form factor(the cable is standard) so adding a gpu with a 6 pin to a ancient 350w psu probably isn't the best idea. Stick with looking for the gtx 750 or gtx 1030.

Also minimum requirements don't mean anything really, most games play well under minimum.

Solution
Dec 1, 2019
Hi All
Thanks for your suggestions. Based on the specs of GTX 750 ti (https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-750-ti/specifications ) or GTX 1030 (https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-1030/specifications ) I have few questions?
  1. Will the height/length of these cards fit my chassis?
  2. These cards state that they are PCI E 16 3.0 but my motherboard has slot for PCI E 16 2.0, so will they be compatible?
  3. My motherboard has 340W power and will these graphics card be compatible with that power source. I see there is a 6 pin connector available from PSU.

PCIe 3.0 cards are backwards comparable compatible with PCIe 2.0 boards.
No issues there.

Most 750/tis and 1030s are very small and compact. if you have the standard width tower, pick any one. If you have the narrower one, go for a low profile card.

Moth 750ti and 1030 draw less than 75w and do not need a 6 pin. They will be fine for a 340w PSU.

Reactions: maxamillionfeettall

TRENDING THREADS