Upgrading Dell Vostro 460 to GTX 970

NextGenLifeHD

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015
I am looking to upgrade my Dell Vostro 460. This upgrade will include a GTX 970, a case and a power supply. I am pretty solid on getting a GTX 970, but which model constantly changes because of prices and sales. At the moment it is a gigabyte windforce GTX 970, power supply is Corsair VS550, and case is CM Storm Enforcer. I know the power supply is pretty low-end but I also know that it will work, and my budget is quite tight. I would prefer not to order online, so my preferred stores are MSY and PLE Computers. I am in Perth, WA, Australia. (MSY is the cheaper store)

Solution
Should be ok. Like you say, you are cutting it fine with that low end PSU, but in theory it should be fine. I would update the motherboard bios to the newest possible and see if anyone has tried modern 900series cards on that system - some older Dells have trouble with newer cards.
For dell you might want to double check before upgrading into new case. In few dell machine that i encounter almost all of them have motherboard placement on the opposite side of case unlike the one use in most prebuilt pc or regular DIY pc. So dell mobo might not compatible with regular case at all.

NextGenLifeHD

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015
Forgive me if I have misunderstood you, but I believe that what you are saying is that the dell motherboards might be the wrong way round? If that is the question, then the answer would be no, as my motherboard is mounted on the right side of the case of my case (if you were looking at the front). I believe my mATX motherboard is compatible

NextGenLifeHD

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015
Oh! My bad! I had a dumb moment and forgot to address the question! I am just wondering whether all these parts are compatible. If there are any better products for that price or recommendations from the sites above then please say so. (I am happy to buy the graphics card from newegg only if it is cheaper than the retail graphics card with included $45 shipping and any extra GST).

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Should be ok. Like you say, you are cutting it fine with that low end PSU, but in theory it should be fine. I would update the motherboard bios to the newest possible and see if anyone has tried modern 900series cards on that system - some older Dells have trouble with newer cards.

Solution

NextGenLifeHD

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015
Thanks for your answer, although that raises more questions. I have no knowledge about updating the BIOS, let alone why you need a BIOS for a gpu. I am happy to create a new thread if you like, otherwise feel free to answer :)

random guy 460

Commendable
Aug 13, 2016
Hi OP, I know its months after this thread was last updated. I just want to ask if you have a successful upgrade for that Vostro 460. I am planning to do the same as what you did, just with GTX 1070. Maybe can update on your experience?

Thanks in advance!

NextGenLifeHD

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015

I went budget and added a GTX 950, and it is working 100% fine. The only things I can help you with is to make sure the card can fit inside your case, and that your power supply and cooling are adequate.