[SOLVED] Upgrading desktop RAM from DDR2 to DDR3

garvind25

Honorable
Sep 24, 2016
Hi,

I have a desktop with Core 2 Quad (Q6600) processor and Gigabyte G41 Combo motherboard. Presently I am using two 2GB (800MHz) DDR2 RAM sticks. My m/b supports both DDR2 and DDR3 RAM (any one at a time)

I want to upgrade my RAM from DDR2 to DDR3. In this context I wanted to know the following:

** Will upgrading the RAM affect my processor in any way? Since my processor is old and used to get heated, presently I have under-clocked it.

** Will upgrading from DDR2 to DDR3 improve the PC performance without affecting the processor and m/b? My m/b is about three years old.

I look forward to your responses.

Thanks,
Arvind Gupta.

Solution
Pls provide clarity on the fact that if I upgrade from DDR2 to DDR3, will it affect the processor? I do not want to increase the processor clock speed/ get a new heat sink for the the processor.

Thanks for your replies.
Arvind Gupta

Not really. DDR3 1333 will run cpu memory controller faster but won't introduce much heat. That's if running faster ram is even stable with your underclock. Capacity is main improvement here and 2x 4gb of DDR3 1333, 1066, or even DDR2 800 will do that.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
8gb ram would be more substantial upgrade vs speed from 800MHz to 1333(maximum speed). Since ddr3 doesn't come in 800mhz flavours, afaik, 2x 4gb 1333 would be worth doing just for the increased ram.

Though, getting a better cpu cooler so you don't have to underclock would be ideal too.

Hi,

I have a desktop with Core 2 Quad (Q6600) processor and Gigabyte G41 Combo motherboard. Presently I am using two 2GB (800MHz) DDR2 RAM sticks. My m/b supports both DDR2 and DDR3 RAM (any one at a time)

I want to upgrade my RAM from DDR2 to DDR3. In this context I wanted to know the following:

** Will upgrading the RAM affect my processor in any way? Since my processor is old and used to get heated, presently I have under-clocked it.

** Will upgrading from DDR2 to DDR3 improve the PC performance without affecting the processor and m/b? My m/b is about three years old.

I look forward to your responses.

Thanks,
Arvind Gupta.
if you want a good performance increase on ddr3 platorm, at the very least get a sandy bridge processor, they will server you well.

garvind25

Honorable
Sep 24, 2016
Pls provide clarity on the fact that if I upgrade from DDR2 to DDR3, will it affect the processor? I do not want to increase the processor clock speed/ get a new heat sink for the the processor.

Thanks for your replies.
Arvind Gupta

Thanks for your replies.
Arvind Gupta
Will upgrading the RAM affect my processor in any way? Since my processor is old and used to get heated, presently I have under-clocked it.
No.

Will upgrading from DDR2 to DDR3 improve the PC performance without affecting the processor and m/b? My m/b is about three years old.
by a little.

is it worth it? depends on your budget and your use.

Sandy brige and ivy bridge platform are still worth considering today for upgrades if you went ddr3.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Thanks for your replies.
Arvind Gupta

Not really. DDR3 1333 will run cpu memory controller faster but won't introduce much heat. That's if running faster ram is even stable with your underclock. Capacity is main improvement here and 2x 4gb of DDR3 1333, 1066, or even DDR2 800 will do that.

Solution

garvind25

Honorable
Sep 24, 2016

Thanks for your reply. My under-clocking stats are as follows:

CPU Clock ratio: 6x
CPU Frequency : 1.66 GHz (266X6)
MCH Frequency Latch : Auto

I need to decide if I should buy DDR2 or DDR3 RAM. Accordingly, pls advice if I should go for DDR3 1333 MHz (OC) based 4 GB RAM or 2 X 4 GB DDR2 (800MHz) RAM. BTW Gigabyte G41 -M Combo only supports 4 GB DDR3 or 8 GB DDR2 RAM at a time.

Thanks.
Arvind Gupta.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for your reply. My under-clocking stats are as follows:

CPU Clock ratio: 6x
CPU Frequency : 1.66 GHz (266X6)
MCH Frequency Latch : Auto

I need to decide if I should buy DDR2 or DDR3 RAM. Accordingly, pls advice if I should go for DDR3 1333 MHz (OC) based 4 GB RAM or 2 X 4 GB DDR2 (800MHz) RAM. BTW Gigabyte G41 -M Combo only supports 4 GB DDR3 or 8 GB DDR2 RAM at a time.

Thanks.
Arvind Gupta.

Whatever is available to you and price. 2x 4gb either for DDR2 or 3, motherboard supports up to 8gb for either.

An sata ssd will also improve things.