Upgrading for better gaming perfomance

Sep 1, 2018
Hello,

I am currently running an NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 and have an Intel Core i5-7400 and 3 GHZ CPU with 8192MB RAM. I would like to upgrade to have a better gaming performance, what should i do, i don't need to play the best quality but i recently installed 'Green Hell' and that isn't running smooth at all!

https://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=35707&game=Green%20Hell
1050 seems solid choice and anything higher is making game look and perform only better.
I think you have 4 tiers:
1050 for budget upgrade. game will work graphic will be ok.
1050 ti for solid grapic and performance boost. <<-- recommended
1060 6 GB for best bang for this game, any more will not get much better.
1070 if you want even more for other games....

Sep 1, 2018

First of thank you for replying!

Should it be from Nvidia or does that not matter?

It doesn't really matter, its more of a preference really. Looking at benchmarks you'll find some games do better with amd and other better with nvidia. From memory hardware unboxed had an updated video comparing the 1060 with the 580.
One thing to keep in mind though is your power supply(psu). An actual gaming card will be more demanding to run compared to the 730 you have now.

Sep 1, 2018

Where can i check if my power supply is sufficient?

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Well, look at the back of your computer where the power cable is plugged in. See if there is a tag with info. You are looking at some kind of 3 digit number like 450, 500, 650. something like that. Find out how much watt your power supply has, then we talk about how much you need for different gpu. But generally speaking. 550W to 650W should cover you on most single nvidia GPUs. a lot of them will even work fine with 450W.

Remove your side panel and the power supply should be a box located on the bottom left hand side. Check the details and let us know.

Sep 1, 2018

So i decided that the ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Strix OC - 4GB is going to be the video-card, agree with the decision? As for my power-supply It has the same minimal power as my current card. I should be good then i guess?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Yeah its a good option, but check you have pci-e power connectors from your PSU, as some 1050 ti require the cable.