Question Upgrading for better performance

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sagi sason

Great
Mar 11, 2020
I'm new at all of this computer things so please help me.
I have Intel i3 8100 and Intel UHD 630, and I want to get a better performance in low price, what should I buy cpu or gpu?
And if I'm buying one of them do I need to buy other spacial things?
Thank you
BTW I have a prebuilt PC, I hope it doesn't matter

I have 8GB, why does it matter? When I play I reach maximum 6750MB
Ram usage can not get higher than physically available ram.
To determine, if current amount of ram is enough, you also have to monitor pagefile usage.

When physically available ram is not enough, system starts swapping ram contents to pegefile on disk. This causes major slowdowns and frame drops during gaming.

Sagi sason

Great
Mar 11, 2020
Ram usage can not get higher than physically available ram.
To determine, if current amount of ram is enough, you also have to monitor pagefile usage.

When physically available ram is not enough, system starts swapping ram contents to pegefile on disk. This causes major slowdowns and frame drops during gaming.
So how do I know if I need to upgrade?

With performance monitor:
https://www.m-files.com/user-guide/latest/eng/inspecting_page_file_usage_in_performance_monitor.html

With MSI afterburner. Here it is actually commit value from Task manager. If it goes over amount of physical ram, then more ram is recommended.
FCMCmk6.png

Ok. Lets test it then.

Launch MSI afterburner, detach hardware monitoring window, set up visible graphs:
FPS, cpu temp/usage, gpu temp/usage, ram usage, memory usage, pagefile usage.
Run your game until you experience stutters/slowdowns and make a screenshot from afterburner hardware monitoring window and show here.

Hardware monitoring window looks like this:

Monitoring.png

Last edited:

Sagi sason

Great
Mar 11, 2020
Ok. Lets test it then.

Launch MSI afterburner, detach hardware monitoring window, set up visible graphs:
cpu temp/usage, gpu temp/usage, ram usage, memory usage, pagefile usage.
Run your game until you experience stutters/slowdowns and make a screenshot from afterburner hardware monitoring window and show here.

Monitoring.png

Ok. Lets test it then.

Monitoring.png
Ok. Lets test it then.

Monitoring.png
Ok I'll do it, but the thing that there are some stutters but not a lot.
But the fps himself is more than 50 fps less.

Sagi sason

Great
Mar 11, 2020
Ok. Lets test it then.

Monitoring.png
The temp is always at 55 for both

Sagi sason

Great
Mar 11, 2020
Ok. Lets test it then.

Monitoring.png
I see that when I have stutters the gpu usage is dropping down and the bus usage, don't what the bus usage is

TRENDING THREADS