[SOLVED] Upgrading from 10 years old Motherboard and CPU, do I need to re-install Windows 10 ?

MariusThePaladin

Commendable
Jan 2, 2020
Hello! I plan to save up starting now to buy an entirely new PC at the end of the next year.

However, I want to continue using my current HDD with the new PC. (At least just so that I can use softwares to clone all my data and bootdrive onto the new SSD)

And my biggest fear is that I'd have to format the boot drive and re-install Windows. (Activated Windows 10 Pro)

Although I have seen threads on this forum which confirmed that I may not need to re-install windows, my current PC is pretty old, and I'm afriad that the differences will be too big and it wouldn't works.
Most importantly, my vendor said that it might not works since the chipset is too different.

So I would really appreciate it if you could, again, assist me by confirming whether I will need to do a fresh install or not.

My current spec is:

Windows 10 Pro (Activated)
Mobo: GIGABYTE Z86A-D3-B3
CPU: Corei7-2600

My planned spec:

Mobo: GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x

Thank you in advance for the answers.

Solution
D
Nope you’re still going to run into stuff that’s wrong and you won’t be able to figure out what’s wrong. do you want to do that to yourself and waste all that time? that’s up to you

It takes about eight minutes to format and install fresh and it doesn’t take long to install the programs that are essential to you and then you have a brand new clean system that’s properly configured and not a Frankenstein of something that used to be
D

Deleted member 14196

Absolutely yes. Fresh clean install ONLY

In your case don’t bother with cloning just do a clean fresh install by formatting and installing

Reactions: GarrettL
D

Deleted member 14196

Nope you’re still going to run into stuff that’s wrong and you won’t be able to figure out what’s wrong. do you want to do that to yourself and waste all that time? that’s up to you

It takes about eight minutes to format and install fresh and it doesn’t take long to install the programs that are essential to you and then you have a brand new clean system that’s properly configured and not a Frankenstein of something that used to be

Solution
It’s highly recommended to reinstall Windows. If you don’t you can end up chasing issues indefinitely.

Also if the reason you don’t want to is because you have files on the current drive then if these are important then they should be backed up. Definitely do go messing with anything if your important files are not backed up.