Upgrading from 1080 to 1440. Ingame size?

00mp

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Hi Tom's hardware,

I'm upgrading from a 21,5" / 1920x1080p monitor to a 2560x1440 / 23,8" gaming monitor driven by a GTX 1080. The 21,5" monitor I'm using right now is a simple office monitor and has a lot of ghosting and lag. So far so good, the new 23,8" screen is a huge upgrade, especially since it's 144hz.
The only thing I'm worried about is the ingame sizing and in particular, the size of enemies. I play a lot of FPS and I'm wondering if they appear smaller on the new screen. Going from 1080 to 1440 should make them smaller right? But the upgrade in screen size from 21,5" to 23,8" might undo that?

Can anyone tell me how this will work out? I would like to avoid having smaller enemies to aim on and I might consider staying at 1080p and upgrading to another 1080p but with 144hz.

Thanks in advance.

Solution

guess its a bit of a personal choice

but i wanted to see the different sizes and different resolutions and difference from tn to ips

so i actually went to a store where i could see the monitors running

its what i would recommend doing

first time i saw this ips monitors colours against the tn panel i was sold on...
The enemies will be the same size, just more detailed, as will everything else.
Agree with Mcnumpty23, you should really consider a larger display for 1440 <>27" is ideal-I'm running a 27" 1440 144Hz Freesync display, the images are pin sharp and the larger size makes it easier to spot distant enemies or features.

00mp

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
The enemies will be the same size, just more detailed, as will everything else.
Oh ok I was afraid they would be smaller with higher ress but that's good know :).

Thanks for the responses. Since you guys recommend a 27" monitor, what's the benefit besides being able to open 2 web pages side by side? I don't really like huge monitors (especially for gaming) but I would consider them if it has real benefits.

guess its a bit of a personal choice

but i wanted to see the different sizes and different resolutions and difference from tn to ips

so i actually went to a store where i could see the monitors running

its what i would recommend doing

first time i saw this ips monitors colours against the tn panel i was sold on ips--colours were so vivid it hurt my eyes so to speak

then i looked at all the different sizes at different resolutions

and to me personally 27 inch at 1440p looked the best out of them all

Solution