Question Upgrading from 16/4 Channels to 24/8 Channels

leehop71

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
Greetings! Newbie here.
I have a Netgear C6300 modem router combo.
I am in the process of adding Ring Security doorbell, cameras, and lighting around my house, in addition to the devices I already have that use Wi-Fi.
I dont' have the project finished yet, but when it is, I will have around 20 devices that will connect to the internet.
Since my current router is a 16/4 channel, I was wondering if I would get more stability and whether it would be worth my while to upgrade to a modem router combo that offers the 24/8 channel configuration?
Thanks in advance!!
Lee

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0

kanewolf

Titan
I would not recommend a combo unit. Routers get replaced for performance reasons, modems usually get replaced because you change ISP. Get separate modem and router. Use the list of modems approved by your ISP then use ANY ethernet based router.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Ur modem bandwidth capacity is affected by the plan ur purchasing, and in real life that feels like ~200 mbit. Ur upgrading your Internet service, your ISP will automatically tell you, "need a new modem."

U wanna get ahead of the curve and purchase a "better" modem in advance, go ahead, consult with ISP if they have a certified list.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS