[SOLVED] Upgrading from 16 to 24 GB of RAM - doubt on using different RAMS ?

jamsus

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2013
Hello super turbo nerds of tom's Hardware!

I got a question: i'm a happy owner of 2x8 GB RGB Corshair 3200Mhz blocks of RAM (on a MSI 450 Gaming Pro MB) but i got the needing of upgrading it at least at 24GB.

I would like to buy just a single RAM block, 8GB with 3200Mhz of frequency and my question is:

It is suggested to try to buy the SAME model for my third block of RAM or it is sufficient to buy a block of ram of the same "class\frequency"?

Because the 3.2Ghz RGB Ram of Corshair are sold only on 2 x 8GB but i've found a HyperX Predator 1 x 8GB 3200Mhz block which i can buy as a single piece! (and it costs half, obviously)

Thansk a lot and have a nice day

EDIT: i also have a question about dual channel, which is now active -- adding an extra block of ram doesnt prevent the 2 pieces in dual channel to stop working right? it would just be that single piece that is not in dual, or i'm wrong?

Andrea

Last edited:
Solution

I got a question: i'm a happy owner of 2x8 GB RGB Corshair 3200Mhz blocks of RAM (on a MSI 450 Gaming Pro MB) but i got the needing of upgrading it at least at 24GB.

I would like to buy just a single RAM block, 8GB with 3200Mhz of frequency and my question is:

It is suggested to try to buy the SAME model for my third block of RAM or it is sufficient to buy a block of ram of the same "class\frequency"?

Because the 3.2Ghz RGB Ram of Corshair are sold only on 2 x 8GB but i've found a HyperX Predator 1 x 8GB 3200Mhz block which i can buy as a single piece! (and it costs half, obviously)

EDIT: i also have a question about dual channel, which is now active...

kanewolf

Titan

EDIT: i also have a question about dual channel, which is now active -- adding an extra block of ram doesnt prevent the 2 pieces in dual channel to stop working right? it would just be that single piece that is not in dual, or i'm wrong?

Andrea
If you want maximum performance, buy 2x16GB in a matched set. Don't add random RAM for an unbalanced 24GB. Sell your 2x8GB after you install the new RAM.
Mix and match ram is a gamble at best.

Solution
Jul 20, 2018
You can but it's better not to take a chance and follow what Kane said. I personally use a 1x8gb+1x2gb ddr3 1333mhz ram setup with the 2gb stick being from Hyundai and 8 years old whereas the 8gb stick is from hynix and is just a few months old. Same timings and latency and everything works fine

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019

IF the motherboard supports FLEX mode it will work in dual channel with 3 Dimms if you put them in the right order . Flex is intel technology I dont know if AMD uses it or not.