[SOLVED] Upgrading from 3080 to 3080 Ti Bottleneck Inquiry

Malakai432

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014
Good Morning Community,

I just had a quick question. I landed a 3080 Ti Founders from Bestbuy and might swap out my existing standard 3080 Founders. My question is, at 1440p ultra settings, would a 3080 Ti Founders create a heavy bottleneck with a Ryzen 5600x. System specs below. It runs great with the RTX 3080 but I'm not sure if the extra horsepower of the Ti will hamper things.

Also a quick installation inquiry, the 3080 Ti Founders seems to use the same 12 pin connector, so would I be fine to use my existing cable and simply just swap and reinstall the drivers.

RTX 3080 Founders
Ryzen 5600x
MSI Mag Tomahawk x570
16 GB Trident Neo
(2) Sabrent Rocket NVM's
Corsair RM850x
Regards,

Daniel

Last edited:
Solution
You did not list the power supply, but the rough TDP for the cards is similar. Just can expect a little more power draw from the larger card.

5600X is fine, not like a faster GPU is going to change the game engines. You should just see some GPU bound FPS improvement, or be able to increase settings with no loss in FPS on CPU bound titles.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You did not list the power supply, but the rough TDP for the cards is similar. Just can expect a little more power draw from the larger card.

5600X is fine, not like a faster GPU is going to change the game engines. You should just see some GPU bound FPS improvement, or be able to increase settings with no loss in FPS on CPU bound titles.

Reactions: Malakai432
Solution

Malakai432

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014

Sorry about that! That information would definitely help. I currently use a Corsair RM850x. Thanks for the information.