Question Upgrading from 4790 to 4790K

NitroRider76

Prominent
Oct 5, 2020
Hi all,
New to these forums,
So next gen is upon us,

Wanna ask a question before deciding wheater should i buy a used 4790K.

So i have a i7-4790 (Upgraded from i5-4590, so some pretty good improvements) and i wanna know if you guys think will there be any benefit to upgrade again to a 4790K and OC it ? Do you think I will be able to game at 1440p 60-75 fps for coming next years with this upgrade ?
Do you think my water cooler is good enough for OC ?
Or maybe i should stay with my current CPU ?
I have an Antec Kühler H2O K Series K120 RGB water cooler.

Also i have:
RX 580 8GB (planning to upgrade for sure),
20 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz RAM, Z87X-UD4H-CF Motherboard, PSU Corsair 850W Gold, 240GB SSD+ 480GB SSD + 1TB SSD, 1TB + 2TB HDD
Also i bought an NVMe adapter pci-e x4, so i plan to buy a 1TB NVMe.

Currently playing on my 1440p (75 Hz) Monitor, got a second 1080p old Samsung monitor for web browsing.

I get mostly 60 fps in games at 1440p at medium - high settings, depends on game.

I'm trying to get as much as i can from this setup
But i know next gen consoles are going to have 8C/16T cpu, so i was just wondering if and 4790 is enough, or should i get 4790K, or a brand new CPU/MB/RAM combo..
Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Your upgrade from the non K suffix to the K suffix will be minimal. How much will you be paying for the K suffix processor? On top of that, what is the model for your PSU and how old is it?

From the way I see it, you've got the makings of a brand new system with concurrent parts and native support for M.2 SSD's, as opposed to investing on older hardware that needs an adapter and shares lanes(among other things to consider).

Reactions: PC Tailor

NitroRider76

Prominent
Oct 5, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Your upgrade from the non K suffix to the K suffix will be minimal. How much will you be paying for the K suffix processor? On top of that, what is the model for your PSU and how old is it?

From the way I see it, you've got the makings of a brand new system with concurrent parts and native support for M.2 SSD's, as opposed to investing on older hardware that needs an adapter and shares lanes(among other things to consider).

My PSU:
Corsair 850w 80+ gold tx850m, about 3 years old almsot
The price for 4790K is about 145$, but its cheaper then upgrading my entire CPU,MB,RAM
I got 3 PCI-E slots in my mobo, so 1 for NVMe adpter shouldn't be a problem right ?