Upgrading from 4790K to 8700K

idamaster

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014
Hello all,

I am looking into upgrading from a 4790K to a 8700K for some short term future-proofing.

Will I be able to swap my motherboard, CPU, and ram in my system as is or will I have issues doing that? I've read that the upgrade to Windows 10 helped with driver issues?

If not, I will just clean install windows.

Also, the 8700K supports 2666mhz RAM, but the motherboard supports 4000+. That RAM compatibility is just up to the board considering faster RAM is OC'd, correct?

Thanks!

Solution
"short term future proofing"? Isn't that an oxymoron? Unless you're doing heavy productivity work you're not going to see enough difference to justify the cost. Plus, unless you have a retail copy of Windows that can be moved to another PC (which is basically what that is) you're going to need a new OEM license when you swap motherboards. If all that's OK you probably can get away with not reinstalling Windows - Windows 10 is pretty good about installing drivers.

WildCard999

Titan
You will want to do a clean install of Windows to avoid issues. For ram I would go with 2666mhz or faster, whichever is cheaper and support by the motherboard.

Just wondering, is there any reason in particular your upgrading? The 4790K is still quite the capable CPU.

jeffredo

Distinguished
"short term future proofing"? Isn't that an oxymoron? Unless you're doing heavy productivity work you're not going to see enough difference to justify the cost. Plus, unless you have a retail copy of Windows that can be moved to another PC (which is basically what that is) you're going to need a new OEM license when you swap motherboards. If all that's OK you probably can get away with not reinstalling Windows - Windows 10 is pretty good about installing drivers.

Solution