[SOLVED] Upgrading from 4GB to 8 GB RAM

Sep 3, 2021
I have a Toshiba Satellite Model C55-B5382 laptop computer that I wish to upgrade from 4 GB to 8 GB RAM. I looked on youtube and doing the upgrade looks pretty simple. The problem I'm having is identifying the RAM HW chip/card to buy. From looking at the youtube video it appears I need to purchase an 8 GB RAM chip/card and replace the 4 GB chip that is currently in my laptop (one cannot buy a 4 GB chip/card and add it to the existing chip/card in my computer). Is this correct? Also, I need to know the basic characteristics I need to consider when purchasing the new RAM chip/card. There are many products on the market and it would be easy to make a selection that doesn't work for my computer.

Solution
I have a Toshiba Satellite Model C55-B5382 laptop computer that I wish to upgrade from 4 GB to 8 GB RAM. I looked on youtube and doing the upgrade looks pretty simple. The problem I'm having is identifying the RAM HW chip/card to buy. From looking at the youtube video it appears I need to purchase an 8 GB RAM chip/card and replace the 4 GB chip that is currently in my laptop (one cannot buy a 4 GB chip/card and add it to the existing chip/card in my computer). Is this correct? Also, I need to know the basic characteristics I need to consider when purchasing the new RAM chip/card. There are many products on the market and it would be easy to make a selection that doesn't work for my computer.
Some reading...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Some reading.
https://www.memorystock.com/memory/ToshibaSatelliteC55B5382.html

You might want to open up the laptop and see if the memory is removeable.

Solution
Sep 3, 2021
I wanted to give a shout out to all that responded to my thread! You all are full of good information I didn't know about my computer. A special thanks to Bob B. who gave me the info I needed to find the right 8GB memory! My memory came in the mail today and it installed just like the youtube video (easy peezy). I don't think the youtube video used the exact model as mine but it was a C55 model and the insides of the computer were similar. If I had read the info boju provided me, I'm not sure I would have purchased the computer in the first place. Who would design a computer that uses some RAM memory for video processing? Ans: Toshiba. I guess I got my monies worth. My initial impression is that the computer runs faster, but time will tell. The main reason I got the memory was because the computer seemed to "freeze" up often. I hope the new memory improves the situation.