Upgrading from 5870

link_q

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Hello!
I currently have this rig:

i5-750 (Planning to overclock after my hyper 212 evo arrives ^_^)
Sapphire vapor-x 5870 1gb
4gb ram
GA-P55-USB3
OCZ 700w

I want to make a short term gpu purchase that won't be bottlenecked by my cpu a lot. Since I don't have the money to buy new mobo and cpu, i'll want a GPU that's on the cheaper end but still an upgrade from my 5870.

For example i saw a GTX 650 2gb which is priced here at around 120 euros(130$). Are there cards that will make a big difference from mine at this range?

Note: I can also find older cards like the 7970 used at 150 euro so keep that in mind too when suggesting :)

Solution

AMD reiterates plans to introduce New Radeon R9 300 Series GPUs in June 2015.

Source...

link_q

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

Thanks for your answers :)

I might soon get a new PSU anyways(a friend will give it to me because he won't need his pc). Do you have any suggestions if wattage isn't a problem?

link_q

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

Thanks for the suggestion,sounds good for low power systems. I meant in my last post that I will be getting a stronger PSU, so I wanted a suggestion that's irrelevant to the power consumption. You have been a big help so far :)

yeskay

Distinguished

AMD reiterates plans to introduce New Radeon R9 300 Series GPUs in June 2015.

Source: KitGuru.Net - Read this full article with approximate R9 300 GPU Prices.

The AMD's new R9 300 Series, are expected to use High Band Width Memory (HBM) that will consume less power yet offer superior performance than GDDR5 technology.

What's the advantage of owning an HBM based R9 300 Series card?

65% performance improvement over GDDR5, 40% power reduction and 37X size reduction over DDR4.

So its wise to upgrade later.

Cheers!

Solution

link_q

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

Ahhhh seems promising!!! Will have to wait and see if the cheaper ones in the family will be actually good value for money. Time to save up until June then :)

Thank you guys for your answers, you've been helpful. At least I now have a basic knowledge of my card's power in reference to the other :D

There are rumors the mid range and low end for AMD next series will be rebrand of certain model from current line up. If they did full release from top to bottom (like they did in the past) the mid range and low end cards wont come oit until much later. Just look nvidia 900 series. 980/970 launch in september 2014 but 960 was coming out in late january.