Question Upgrading from 8700k

RRichards

Reputable
Jul 2, 2017
I currently have an 8700k in my system that I've been running at 5.3Ghz for the better part of 4 years. I'm running a 3080 and it is ok for gaming, leaving around 5-30% at 1440p of the performance on the table depending on the title. I'll be needing a much beefier CPU to help with education, as I will be doing CAD and lots of heavy work such as fluid simulations. Right now the most compelling buy for me seems to be the 12900k, but this is the one and only time I will be in a position to spend a large amount on a PC upgrade for the foreseeable future so I would like to get the best I possibly can. I haven't been staying up to date with the rumor mill, but I am aware that both AMD and Intel are releasing new processors in Q4/Q1. For those who have been keeping up to date, is it looking like these new CPUs are going to be worth waiting for, or should I just go for the best I can get right now?

You might not see the 12900k replacement at retail until November or December. Possibly even longer. I checked the roadmap within the last week and saw nothing definite...just rumors and contentions.

The reports I've seen indicate noticeable improvement on the upcoming Raptor Lake Intels....8 or 10 percent going from memory?

I'd certainly wait if possible. If you can't, get on the 12900K now.

DDR 5 may be a more affordable option in 6 months; hard to say.

Of course, I have no idea if the 12900K or its replacement makes sense for your requirements.

It's difficult to predict just how much improvement might be realized with upcoming CPUs/chipsets, barring some actual benchmarks from semi-trusted sources...

Certainly, the 12900K and 5900X and 5950X are impressive performers today....; the longer you wait, however, the more it might be more and more tempting to just wait to see the results of AM5 and/or Intel's 13th gen before... (It's a tough call, really)

Sidebar: 5.3 GHz from.... an 8700K? YOu must have had a 1 in a thousand CPU.....

On how many cores, under what load, with what core voltage, for how long, with what cooling, and at what temps? With only some 20% of 8700k samples able to sustain 5 GHz all-core, 5.3 GHz on even a single core would be ,,,very surprising, and on all cores about impossible.... to the point of being worthy of press releases as it occurred. Congrats, though.!

RRichards

Reputable
Jul 2, 2017
It's difficult to predict just how much improvement might be realized with upcoming CPUs/chipsets, barring some actual benchmarks from semi-trusted sources...

Certainly, the 12900K and 5900X and 5950X are impressive performers today....; the longer you wait, however, the more it might be more and more tempting to just wait to see the results of AM5 and/or Intel's 13th gen before... (It's a tough call, really)

Sidebar: 5.3 GHz from.... an 8700K? YOu must have had a 1 in a thousand CPU.....

On how many cores, under what load, with what core voltage, for how long, with what cooling, and at what temps? With only some 20% of 8700k samples able to sustain 5 GHz all-core, 5.3 GHz on even a single core would be ,,,very surprising, and on all cores about impossible.... to the point of being worthy of press releases as it occurred. Congrats, though.!
Yeah I got lucky with this one, it's one of the best binned 8700ks I've seen. It holds 5.3 on 1.425V and with a 360mm AIO push pull in a high air flow case it never gets above high 70s under load.

RRichards

Reputable
Jul 2, 2017
Yeah I got lucky with this one, it's one of the best binned 8700ks I've seen. It holds 5.3 on 1.425V and with a 360mm AIO push pull in a high air flow case it never gets above high 70s under load.
I wouldn't recommend running an 8700k like this. For me it's just something I enjoy so I'm willing to run it at high voltage for a nice OC. I'm sure I could push this chip higher, I've just hit the wall where anything further starts needing A LOT more voltage