Upgrading from 8800 Ultra - need up to date advise please

Azmal

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
My 8800 ultra is dead and am borrowing a friends card for now. I haven't had time to keep up with hardware so I hope some of you who have can give me input. I've read enough to know the 580 is the current best from nvidia but radeon has something coming out soon. I was going to just go ahead with the 580 but it seems out of stock everywhere. I'm in no huge hurry but I would appreciate any advise.

Here is the requested thread information:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within a month preferably. Will wait a little longer if need be.

BUDGET RANGE: Probably $500 give or take

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: I consider myself a power user though I have had less time for computer funs lately, even so I would have the capacity I am accustomed to for games, rendering, design and massive multitasking

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: NVIDIA 8800 ULTRA & Thermaltake 800W PSU

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: LCS Intel Core 2 Duo EE QC 3.00ghz, 6GB Ram, Asus MB

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: unimportant so long as it is credible

PARTS PREFERENCES: I've played on both teams. doesn't matter.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe but probably not
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Probably not

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I run a dual screen setup; a Dell 30" Monitor and a LG 60" Plasma TV both at 1920x1080

Thanks

Look into trying the oven bake method if you don't have a life time warranty on your card. There are numerous threads and videos that you can use for guides and steps on how to do it. It does have a good success rate.

I suggest the GTX460 1GB or higher and the GTX580 uses a lot of power. So much so that your 8800ultra uses less power. Also make sure that psu is able to handle the load from such a card.