Dec 13, 2022
Hello,
my current set-up is:

GPU: 8GB MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12x 3.70GHz So.AM4 WOF
Motherboard: SI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI AMD X570 So.AM4 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX
RAM: 32GB (2x 16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16-20-20-38 Dual Kit
PSU: 750 Watt be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 Modular 80+ Platinum
One 3440x1440 and one 2560x1440 monitor.

I’ve been upgrading my PC bit by bit and now I wanted to get a new GPU to make the widescreen experience more enjoyable and to stream on the side.
Performance wise I get some noticeable dips in the overworld in Elden Ring, Cyberpunk runs decently with medium settings and FFXIV dips below 60 when a lot other players are on screen.

Looking at available cards in my area (Germany) I mostly have RTX 4080s ready for in store pick ups.
Initially I wanted to go for a 3080 but those are out of stock and the price difference between 3090s and a 4080 isn’t that high in theory, sometimes the 3090s are cheaper, but availability is.
Upgrading to a 4080 would also definetely entail a PSU upgrade which is within my budget.

Should I go for the 4080+PSU route, go for an AMD gpu or just wait?

It's up to you but your unlikely to be disappointed with an Nvidia 4080. You will need to upgrade your PSU regardless of what you get.

If it were me I would just get a 4080, they are good all round package with DLSS 3.0 and strong ray tracing performance. I say that as someone with a 3080 though so slightly biased in favour of Nvidia.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Hello,
my current set-up is:

GPU: 8GB MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12x 3.70GHz So.AM4 WOF
Motherboard: SI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI AMD X570 So.AM4 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX
RAM: 32GB (2x 16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16-20-20-38 Dual Kit
PSU: 750 Watt be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 Modular 80+ Platinum
One 3440x1440 and one 2560x1440 monitor.

I’ve been upgrading my PC bit by bit and now I wanted to get a new GPU to make the widescreen experience more enjoyable and to stream on the side.
Performance wise I get some noticeable dips in the overworld in Elden Ring, Cyberpunk runs decently with medium settings and FFXIV dips below 60 when a lot other players are on screen.

Looking at available cards in my area (Germany) I mostly have RTX 4080s ready for in store pick ups.
Initially I wanted to go for a 3080 but those are out of stock and the price difference between 3090s and a 4080 isn’t that high in theory, sometimes the 3090s are cheaper, but availability is.
Upgrading to a 4080 would also definetely entail a PSU upgrade which is within my budget.

Should I go for the 4080+PSU route, go for an AMD gpu or just wait?

I was in the same situation as you, wanted to get a 3080 two years ago, but didn't get one due to availability, and I didn't want to give my money to the scalpers. I waited 2 years and since last week I have the 4080 in my system. Don't regret it. Performance is awesome. Got the MSI 4080 Gaming X trio, which you can pick up in Germany for around 1300 Euros. Also, is raytracing important to you? If yes, go 4080....

You don't need a PSU upgrade, the AMD 7900 XT and XTX cards actually use more power than the 4080. .....750 Watts PSU is absolutely fine. Some reviews even went as far as saying 650 Watts are ok. The 4080 is actually an efficiency beast. If you don't believe me check out Igor's Video (around 30 minutes mark he is talking about PSU recommendation):
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwSrdp3xViE

Last edited:

mjbn1977

Distinguished
It's up to you but your unlikely to be disappointed with an Nvidia 4080. You will need to upgrade your PSU regardless of what you get.

If it were me I would just get a 4080, they are good all round package with DLSS 3.0 and strong ray tracing performance. I say that as someone with a 3080 though so slightly biased in favour of Nvidia.

Why does he need to upgrade the PSU??

Why does he need to upgrade the PSU??
It seems like a good PSU, the OP may be fine. but 750W is really the minimum for a 4080. It wasn't uncommon for transient spikes on the 3080 and 3090 to trip the OCP protection on 750W and 850W PSU's. As such people tend to go for 850W or more for a high end system around here. It of course depends on the PSU and the system configuration, a 12900K is a much hungrier CPU than a 5900X.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

mjbn1977

Distinguished
It seems like a good PSU, the OP may be fine. but 750W is really the minimum for a 4080. It wasn't uncommon for transient spikes on the 3080 and 3090 to trip the OCP protection on 750W and 850W PSU's. As such people tend to go for 850W or more for a high end system around here. It of course depends on the PSU and the system configuration, a 12900K is a much hungrier CPU than a 5900X.

Here are the power supply recommendation from IgorsLab (and Igor knows his stuff when it comes to power and transient spikes, more than most reviewers):

"Power supply recommendation
Now we come to the point that completely reduces the expected sensation of exploding power supplies to absurdity. Even IF you hopelessly overpower the card, no one really needs ATX 3.0 power supplies over 1000 watts unless the CPU eats more than 300 watts. This is really just a job creation measure for the struggling power supply industry and only satisfies the sick imagination of some standardization fetishists. You really have to put it so harshly. Well, the card doesn’t draw 320 watts at 12VHPWR even at full load, but almost. I could also only achieve this load with Furmark, so the transients are only very minimal in relation here, because there are also hardly any load changes. Thus, you should always stay below 600 to 700 watts even together with the CPU.

This is also the reason for my power supply recommendation, which for the OC models of the GeForce RTX 4080 is that you should be able to get by with a modern 650 or 750 Watt Gold or Platinum power supply. With a full power limit of up to 400 watts and Furmark, an 750 watt model is also sufficient if the power supply isn’t absolute junk. Even though my list is short and I couldn’t test each power supply for more than 1 hour, I simply ran through what was still unassembled on the shelf in the lab and lasted."

Sorce: https://www.igorslab.de/en/nvidia-g...-thought-and-more-efficient-than-reported/11/

Even Gamers Nexus confirmed that they didn't see any extreme transient spikes on Ada Lovelace than what they saw on Ampere. Also, the Ampere cards used much more power than Ada....

Long story short, OP doesn't need to buy a new PSU if he wants to get a 4080....

To give you an idea, my GPU and CPU during Cyberpunk always stay under 500 Watts power draw. More like 400 Watt on average. Between around 300 watts for 4080 and 110 to 170 for 13700k. And my CPU is super power hungry.....

Last edited:
Here are the power supply recommendation from IgorsLab (and Igor knows his stuff when it comes to power and transient spikes, more than most reviewers):

Now we come to the point that completely reduces the expected sensation of exploding power supplies to absurdity. Even IF you hopelessly overpower the card, no one really needs ATX 3.0 power supplies over 1000 watts unless the CPU eats more than 300 watts. This is really just a job creation measure for the struggling power supply industry and only satisfies the sick imagination of some standardization fetishists. You really have to put it so harshly. Well, the card doesn’t draw 320 watts at 12VHPWR even at full load, but almost. I could also only achieve this load with Furmark, so the transients are only very minimal in relation here, because there are also hardly any load changes. Thus, you should always stay below 600 to 700 watts even together with the CPU.

This is also the reason for my power supply recommendation, which for the OC models of the GeForce RTX 4080 is that you should be able to get by with a modern 650 or 750 Watt Gold or Platinum power supply. With a full power limit of up to 400 watts and Furmark, an 750 watt model is also sufficient if the power supply isn’t absolute junk. Even though my list is short and I couldn’t test each power supply for more than 1 hour, I simply ran through what was still unassembled on the shelf in the lab and lasted."

Sorce: https://www.igorslab.de/en/nvidia-g...-thought-and-more-efficient-than-reported/11/

Even Gamers Nexus confirmed that they didn't see any extreme transient spikes on Ada Lovelace than what they saw on Ampere. Also, the Ampere cards used much more power than Ada....

Long story short, OP doesn't need to buy a new PSU if he wants to get a 4080....

To give you an idea, my GPU and CPU during Cyberpunk always stay under 500 Watts power draw. More like 400 Watt on average. Between around 300 watts for 4080 and 110 to 170 for 13700k. And my CPU is super power hungry.....
Fair enough, perhaps I'm being a little trigger happy then. I have seen a number of people here complain about the 3080 and 3090 causing trouble and then a higher wattage PSU fixing the problem. I suppose given that it's a decent quality unit it's worth trying before pre-empting an unnecessary upgrade.

Reactions: MEMOFLEX

Well, Igors testing is very limited - 2 mins per test? That doesn't fill me with confidence. (Edit correction I see it was 1 hr per PSU.

Whilst you 'may get by with lower wattage PSU's, even good quality ones, there is definitive proof of the transient spikes tripping many good recommended 750/850w PSU's.

With that said, there are some PSU's that don't handle spikes very well. Seasonic Prime are an example. On the other hand Corsair RMX are well renowned for managing these spikes on very well.

I'd much rather a PSU that is known to handle spikes well, and with some room to manoeuver.

Yes, I would agree that Ada is a bit better than Ampere in terms of transients, but nonetheless, trying to limp by on a 650/750w is eventually just going to lead to issues.

I would also say that the OP's PSU is pretty good. So could be fine. If they have issues, they now know where to look first.

Last edited:
Since you've got a 5900X, I'd use the existing 750W PSU.

ZBDviTQRk7s8Luqn4EmhrQ-1200-80.png.webp

130W from the CPU + 315W from a 4080 + 40W extra misc = 485W

Ar558

Proper
Dec 13, 2022
4080 is a great card just terrible value. If you have money to splurge then you can but the cost isn't really justifiable for anyone not earning 6 figures or playing 8 hours a day.