Motherboard: OptiPlex 7020
RAM: Patriot (4x8GB) 32GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @1866Mhz
GPU: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
SSD: SATA 447GB TOSHIBA Q300
HDD: SATA: 931GB Western Digital Black
CASE: NXZT 340S
PSU :Corsair [strike]CX750M[/strike] RM750X
Monitors 1080p 2x 27inches LG IPS

AMD or Intel: EITHER as long as it is STABLE!
Overclocking: Not looking to do it.
RGB: Preferable not, if parts cheaper fine, but likely rgb will not get connected.

BUDGET 750$ USD

I Game, PUBG, Rainbow Six, DayZ, COD, Insurgency, Metro 2033, Ring of Elysium, Start trek Online and many other titles.

I am considering only a changing over of the CPU, RAM, Motherboard, and possibly swap out the dual drive system to a single 1TB SSD drive. But I am open to suggestions (as I can sell stuff or wait to get better components. ) so here is what I was thinking about, feel free to suggest in the Ryzen systems, I truly dont know them but I am looking a performance to be equal or better than an I7-8700.

here is what I am thinking to change on my described system above:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor ($304.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - TUF Z370 Plus Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($134.01 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $738.98

Solution
If gaming and streaming stick with Intel, 8700K or 9700K, can't really go wrong there.

However here are my thoughts in general overall.

I would highly recommend saving up a bit more money and put it into a higher grade MB especially if going with the 9700K as the VRMS aren't great on the lower end MB's.

There is an absolute difference in quality between the entry level MB's and the mid range and higher end models.

The two most important parts of the PC are the PSU and the motherboard, everything else connects into those two parts.

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr2B0RJd7Nc here is a comparison between 8700k and Ryzen 2700k which is up there in performance in gaming, and trounces it in computing, with good ram. If you upgrade your motherboard and cpu to either choice you will be wanting for a better gpu with all that potential firepower for gaming. A 1060 is very anemic with all that processing power. I always recommend that if you are a computer user to buy Intel, if you are a computer nerd and like fiddling with this and that and know what you are doing go Ryzen.

Changed a few things, The 860 EVO M.2 is a waste, same speed as the 2.5" 860 EVO I changed it to (970 EVO is the fast one). Changed the ram to CAS 15 DDR4 3000, actually faster ram than the CAS 16 you choice.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor ($304.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - TUF Z370 Plus Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($133.91 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg Business)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($147.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $690.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-12 09:21 EST-0500

Would be best to upgrade the Graphics card to a RTX 2070 and PSU to a good unit down the road.

Here is a fantastic PSU at a great price, one of the best you can buy currently, something to grab while you can before the sale is over.

Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $59.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-12 09:31 EST-0500

Your i7-4790K is already a very good gaming processor.
What is the chipset on your motherboard?
If it is a z suffix, you can get some 25% better cpu capability via Overclocking.
CPU-Z will identify your chipset.
Overclocking today is a misnomer.
A K suffix processor is designed to be able to raise the multiplier higher than what is initially delivered.
This is done in the bios simply by raising the all core multiplier.
How high is determined by your luck in getting a good chip, and the capability of your cpu cooling.

Your upgrade initial suggestion is not unreasonable.
What you are mainly getting is 12 processing threads vs. the 8 you now have.
If your main usage is multithreaded batch applications or multiplayer games, that is reasonable.
However, if your main use is for games like sims, mmo and strategy games, the single thread performance is more important.

In your budget range, I would suggest a i7-9700k with 8 full cores. It will have a turbo of 4.9 at stock. (the 8700 turbo is 4.6)
Turbo applies to a single core when other workload is not so high.
The 9th gen K processors can generally OC to 5.0 on all cores.
While Z370 can work, it makes sense to me to use a Z390 based motherboard which supports 9th gen processors better.

Love the 860 evo. You get faster sequential speeds with a pcie drive like the 970 evo. Your budget is probably better spent elsewhere.

I think many of your games tend to be single threaded.

Experiment with removing one or more cores/threads. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

thank you for your inputs,

Firstly I want to address the suggestion of the EVGA G2 PSU, by thanking you for it, but After Checking what I in fact have on my system I realize I mislead you into your deduction that I needed a new one, in fact my PSU is a Corsair RM750X and does not need to be changed at all.

Regarding the M.2 SSD vs SATA SSD, if the "speeds where not there", I do not understand why the M.2 would be kept as a standard considering it is capable of 32GB/S vs 6GB/S and the claims of 1500MB/s vs 550MB/s would hold "untruthful". this is a debate we can continue, and not a "deal breaker" in this case, but I know I have older SSD and my speeds are not even 550 MB/s so having 1500MB/s would be delicious.

Moving on; on the comparaison of the 8700 vs 8700K, as stated I have no interest in Overclocking, I have done so for years on my 4790K with an Z87 gryphon board resulting in the end of the death of the board after 5 years of being at 4.7Ghz. In the end, the "speed" did not improve my gaming one bit and isn't required in my eye to enjoy my gaming experience.

As for the 8700/K vs 9700K now we are talking a much bigger difference in speed/cost in the end.
I need to read more on it, but I can barely find a 9700K/MB/Ram under 750$ and only if I forgot The M.2/SSD Drive and returning to my less than optimal ssd hdd, which would end up being my bottleneck, forcing me to get another drive later anyways.

Finally the suggestion of using DDR4-3000 Cas 14 vs DDR4-3200 Cas 16 memory was interesting to research, and seemingly everyone agrees that speed trumps latency when it come to Ram, this coming from numerous threads on Toms hardware itself and from numerous ram manufacturers, Speed trumps CAS latency. Since the Board can handle 3200 this is the one I will keep, but thank you for making me research an intriguing topic.

much to consider you have given me... keep It coming

The Samsung 860 EVO M.2 is an SATA speed drive so the speeds will be exactly the same as the 860 EVO SATA. This is not a debate, it's a fact. You won't get near 1,500 MB/s with the 860 EVO M.2 drive, that will never happen.

The Samsung 970 EVO NVME is the M.2 PCIe speed drive.

The M.2 Slot is just a connection standard, the drives come in 2 types, they are NVME (PCIe) and Standard (SATA).

The 970 and 960 are the NVME drives.

The 860 and 850 are the SATA drives.

Ah, see how details count, and I missed that detail in my excitement... so unless the ssd is M.2 NVME then there is no real point,
Then that does open the road for a possible 9700K system, but as I look at stats right away I am reminded the 9700k may be faster but only is 8 cores no HT. So I decided as suggested to consider Ryzen, and compared to the 9700k, 8700K and Ryzen 2700x which the later two, do have Hyper-treading, and yes I need more cores, for gaming and streaming, etc etc. humm much to consider while looking at this comparaison;

zEFNXoQ.png

so looking to compare;

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($399.89 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME Z390-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $654.87

against;

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor ($308.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - TUF B450-PLUS GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($115.27 @ B&H)
Memory: Kingston - Predator 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($146.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($127.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $699.24

Any thoughts ?

If gaming and streaming stick with Intel, 8700K or 9700K, can't really go wrong there.

However here are my thoughts in general overall.

I would highly recommend saving up a bit more money and put it into a higher grade MB especially if going with the 9700K as the VRMS aren't great on the lower end MB's.

There is an absolute difference in quality between the entry level MB's and the mid range and higher end models.

The two most important parts of the PC are the PSU and the motherboard, everything else connects into those two parts.

Solution

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Looking at extra threads and price would i take the 8700(K). When going for the 8700 would you still be at that price where you could add an NVME drive,

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor ($304.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI - Z370 SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($142.62 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg Business)
Storage: Western Digital - Black NVMe 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $697.59
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-13 18:53 EST-0500

Took this board for the amount of fan headers,sound chip etc,so features,if you like that choice you made fine. You could in the end stil make the cpu run max turbo on all cores which isn't a bad speed anyway. If you like the Samsung drive better fine. ;) Just read some reviews about this one.