[SOLVED] Upgrading from a AMD FX-8350 8 Core to Ryzen 5 3600?

beywatch

Commendable
Apr 5, 2020
My current specs are:
GPU: Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
Proccessor: AMD FX-8350 8 Core
8GB ram
& 1TB hard drive

My friend sold me his old built pc and I am fairly new to building pc's. When I run games like Witcher 3 or Mordhau for example it will start up fine but freeze after 20-30 minutes of gameplay. I also use the pc for editing videos and when I export on Adobe Premiere Pro it will freeze about a minute into exporting. In those instances the 2 fans are running at max and I have to hard reset. Someone suggested upgrading to ryzen and I researched and would like to upgrade to a Ryzen 5 3600 6 core @ 3.6Ghz. Would I have to upgrade the motherboard as well? If so which one would be compatible?

Solution
Alas, the old motherboard (different socket) and DDR3 RAM are indeed worthless.

You would need:
R5-3600

B450 mainboard (get one that supports BIOS flashback/ability to flash BIOS with no cpu installed); many compatible B450's start at $120 through about $150

16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
My current specs are:
GPU: Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
Proccessor: AMD FX-8350 8 Core
8GB ram
& 1TB hard drive

My friend sold me his old built pc and I am fairly new to building pc's. When I run games like Witcher 3 or Mordhau for example it will start up fine but freeze after 20-30 minutes of gameplay. I also use the pc for editing videos and when I export on Adobe Premiere Pro it will freeze about a minute into exporting. In those instances the 2 fans are running at max and I have to hard reset. Someone suggested upgrading to ryzen and I researched and would like to upgrade to a Ryzen 5 3600 6 core @ 3.6Ghz. Would I have to upgrade the motherboard as well? If so which one would be compatible?
With that hardware, even those games should give decent gameplay so long as you don't push the settings too high. I was playing Witcher 3 very comfortably at high settings, 1080P, with a 6300 and GTX950 but moving things to very high or ultra would increasingly bring it to it's knees. As did turning on Nvidia Hair option.

But I think you have more basic problems if it's freezing. Have you checked this used PC for dust accumulation (especially in CPU and GPU heatsink fins) and that all the cooling fans are operating? Have you reset CMOS to original settings? In truth, I'd treat this as a PC refurbishment, take it part-ways apart and clean it really well. Re-applying thermal compound on CPU at least but GPU and heatsink also if you know how (plenty of how-to's on youtube) would also be well advised. Then do a clean install of Windows and the games you want to play.

Only once you've cleaned and baselined the machine to full-stock, fresh install should you start experimenting with any overclocking.

Last edited:

beywatch

Commendable
Apr 5, 2020
Alas, the old motherboard (different socket) and DDR3 RAM are indeed worthless.

You would need:
R5-3600

B450 mainboard (get one that supports BIOS flashback/ability to flash BIOS with no cpu installed); many compatible B450's start at $120 through about $150

16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
thank you for the advice/help. I am most likely going to do an upgrade with those parts you listed and a new case because the one I have is rather old and somewhat dusty.

beywatch

Commendable
Apr 5, 2020
With that hardware, even those games should give decent gameplay so long as you don't push the settings too high. I was playing Witcher 3 very comfortably at high settings, 1080P, with a 6300 and GTX950 but moving things to very high or ultra would increasingly bring it to it's knees. As did turning on Nvidia Hair option.

But I think you have more basic problems if it's freezing. Have you checked this used PC for dust accumulation (especially in CPU and GPU heatsink fins) and that all the cooling fans are operating? Have you reset CMOS to original settings? In truth, I'd treat this as a PC refurbishment, take it part-ways apart and clean it really well. Re-applying thermal compound on CPU at least but GPU and heatsink also if you know how (plenty of how-to's on youtube) would also be well advised. Then do a clean install of Windows and the games you want to play.

Only once you've cleaned and baselined the machine to full-stock, fresh install should you start experimenting with any overclocking.
I will definitely readjust the settings next time. When my friend sold me this he warned me about the dust so I will try to remove as much as I can. I'll reapply the thermal paste in the meantime until I upgrade the parts

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Only Msi offers flash back on their Ryzen boards, maybe some higher end Asus boards. Msi also released Max series supporting 3rd gen out of the box, ie Tomahawk Max.

Other brands may be updated already depending how new the mobo is from the manufacturer.