Upgrading from a gtx 970 to a gtx 1070 regarding PSU

Ben Meekin

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2014
Hello i am looking to upgrade from a gtx 970 to a gtx 1070, the first time i had my pc custom built but however i am now looking to upgrade it myself so i can actually learn how to do it.

My power supply is a Corsair CX-750 750W V3 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply

I've read about different power supplies having different pin connectors my current GPU is an Asus gtx 970 strix and the new card will also be an Asus 1070 strix, would the pin connection be the same as the 970 or will i need a new psu?

Sorry for the noob questions but we all have to start with the basics right?

Solution
You don't need a new PSU.

Graphic cards use PCIe connectors, these come in either 6 pin or 8 pin (often as a 6+2 connector, which can be used as either a 6 or 8 pin connector as required) The two cards probably use the identical connectors, as in 1x 6 pin and 1x 8 pin, and if they don't, the PSU will still have the correct connectors for the new card.
You don't need a new PSU.

Graphic cards use PCIe connectors, these come in either 6 pin or 8 pin (often as a 6+2 connector, which can be used as either a 6 or 8 pin connector as required) The two cards probably use the identical connectors, as in 1x 6 pin and 1x 8 pin, and if they don't, the PSU will still have the correct connectors for the new card.

Solution