[SOLVED] Upgrading from a GTX 970 to RTX 2060 Super

Deemik

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2013
I'm looking to upgrade my current gpu (GTX 970) to a RTX 2060 Super, but I could really use some advice on compatibility.

My current specs are:

i5-4690K 3.5ghz
4gb GTX 970
8gb ram
Asus Z97P X.0X motherboard
Corsair CS650M PSU
2 x Asus VX279HG monitors (75hz 1080p)

Initially, I only wanted an upgrade to use the monitors (GTX 970 has some screen tearing), but if possible I'd aim to run skyrim on vr at some point.

I've heard I should get an extra 8gb ram, is this fair? If I'm unable to find a matching ram to what's currently in my pc, is that an issue? Is it better to replace with 2 x 8gb ddr3?

I'm also a little unsure about the PSU connections. The 970 currently has 2 x 6+2 pin pci connectors (only using the 2 x6), is it a straightforward swap to use 1 x 6 + 2 on the 2060?

Is there anything else I should be asking or is there anything that looks like it might be incompatible?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Is it better to replace with 2 x 8gb ddr3?
always recommended to NOT mix memory kits even if the exact same make/model.
is it a straightforward swap to use 1 x 6 + 2 on the 2060?
check the specific model you will be purchasing for what power connection(s) it needs.
if possible I'd aim to run skyrim on vr at some point.
i doubt you'd get very good performance even at 1080p running VR with the 4690K at stock & the 2060 S.
you may want to look into upgrading the entire system and choosing a more powerful GPU if planning on getting into VR gaming.
Is it better to replace with 2 x 8gb ddr3?
always recommended to NOT mix memory kits even if the exact same make/model.
is it a straightforward swap to use 1 x 6 + 2 on the 2060?
check the specific model you will be purchasing for what power connection(s) it needs.
if possible I'd aim to run skyrim on vr at some point.
i doubt you'd get very good performance even at 1080p running VR with the 4690K at stock & the 2060 S.
you may want to look into upgrading the entire system and choosing a more powerful GPU if planning on getting into VR gaming.

Solution