[SOLVED] Upgrading from AMD FX series CPU to modern AMD

Walkon

Honorable
Jan 9, 2015
Hello folks

I'm currently looking into upgrading my 5 year old AMD FX-8350 to a more modern CPU

My current system

CPU:AMD FX-8350, MB: am3+ m5a97 r2.0 , Memory :16gb DDR3: GPU: GTX 1060 6gb. Storage: SSD-boot-drive and several HDDs.

My Current issue .
I use my PC for gaming and in most modern AAA titles i get about 40fps but the performance is very choppy. I'm looking to upgrade the CPU as that is likely the bottle neck.
From my initial research there are very few meaningful upgrade paths with my current system unless I move into the range of the modern AMD and Intel CPUs. However, upgrading to those platforms would require me to buy a new motherbord and DDR4 RAM along with the new CPU.

Budget
From what I can see this upgrade would cost at least 500 Euros.

My Question
I'm looking for advice on the most cost effective upgrade path, so hardware suggestions would be much appreciated. As well as a heads up on any pitfalls that I may encounter.
I have no preference between AMD and Intel

Thanks in advance for any help your able to give.

Solution
An ideal upgrade would be the Ryzen 5 3600 with a supporting motherboard and 16gb of 3200MHz (or more) memory. The costs would go as: 200€ for the Ryzen 5 3600, ~120€ for a MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX and ~100€ for Memory (lets say Crucial Ballistix sport LT). If you're willing to sacrifice some performance for lower cost then you could go with the older and cheaper Ryzen 5 2600 (130-150€, which would mean you'd also have more choice in budget motherboards, dropping the cost to say 80-100€ for the board.
An ideal upgrade would be the Ryzen 5 3600 with a supporting motherboard and 16gb of 3200MHz (or more) memory. The costs would go as: 200€ for the Ryzen 5 3600, ~120€ for a MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX and ~100€ for Memory (lets say Crucial Ballistix sport LT). If you're willing to sacrifice some performance for lower cost then you could go with the older and cheaper Ryzen 5 2600 (130-150€, which would mean you'd also have more choice in budget motherboards, dropping the cost to say 80-100€ for the board.

Reactions: Walkon
Solution
Hello folks

I'm currently looking into upgrading my 5 year old AMD FX-8350 to a more modern CPU

My current system
CPU:AMD FX-8350, MB: am3+ m5a97 r2.0 , Memory :16gb DDR3: GPU: GTX 1060 6gb. Storage: SSD-boot-drive and several HDDs.

My Current issue .
I use my PC for gaming and in most modern AAA titles i get about 40fps but the performance is very choppy. I'm looking to upgrade the CPU as that is likely the bottle neck.
From my initial research there are very few meaningful upgrade paths with my current system unless I move into the range of the modern AMD and Intel CPUs. However, upgrading to those platforms would require me to buy a new motherbord and DDR4 RAM along with the new CPU.

Budget
From what I can see this upgrade would cost at least 500 Euros.

My Question
I'm looking for advice on the most cost effective upgrade path, so hardware suggestions would be much appreciated. As well as a heads up on any pitfalls that I may encounter.
I have no preference between AMD and Intel

Thanks in advance for any help your able to give.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (€198.95 @ Megekko)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (€124.95 @ CD-ROM-LAND)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (€96.00 @ Megekko)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€99.90 @ CD-ROM-LAND)
Total: €519.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-23 16:40 CEST+0200

Reactions: Walkon