[SOLVED] Upgrading from AMD ryzen 5 2600 to AMD ryzen 5 5600x

Nov 8, 2021
Hey guys,

my motherboard is B450 aorus elite v1, which i think its pretty ancient.

and i've want to upgrade to an AMD ryzen 5 5600x from ryzen 5 2600.

i'm just wondering will there be any issues after i've done an bios update for the board .

Thanks guys !!

Solution
Furthermore, I have lots of bios updates to do as i'm currently on version F2, What order would you recommend i do it in.

My thought would be F40, F50 then F61.
You do it in the order the manufacturer states, no exceptions.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-ELITE-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

For instance, going to F4:
"Note : Update AMD Chipset Driver 18.10.20.02 or latest version before updating to this BIOS."

Or to F40:
Note:
  1. If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F32 before F40
  2. Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR incompatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU.

Read...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you check and see what your BIOS version is for the motherboard at the time of writing? The RyZen 5 5600x is supported but you'll need to be on BIOS version F61 at the very least prior to dropping in the RyZen 5000 series processor onto that board. As for the BIOS updates, please don't jump to the latest BIOS version if you have a number of updates pending. Instead, gradually work your way to the latest version. Do pay attention to the notes on the BIOS page, and taking into account any EC FW Update Tool that needs using prior to moving onto the next BIOS version/update.

Reactions: ohayo123
Nov 8, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you check and see what your BIOS version is for the motherboard at the time of writing? The RyZen 5 5600x is supported but you'll need to be on BIOS version F61 at the very least prior to dropping in the RyZen 5000 series processor onto that board. As for the BIOS updates, please don't jump to the latest BIOS version if you have a number of updates pending. Instead, gradually work your way to the latest version. Do pay attention to the notes on the BIOS page, and taking into account any EC FW Update Tool that needs using prior to moving onto the next BIOS version/update.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Based off you response is it ok to assume the chip will run fine on my current board with no issues IF its at the correct bios version ?

Furthermore, I have lots of bios updates to do as i'm currently on version F2, What order would you recommend i do it in.

Please could you provide some feed back on that

Thanks !

USAFRet

Titan

You do it in the order the manufacturer states, no exceptions.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-ELITE-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

For instance, going to F4:
"Note : Update AMD Chipset Driver 18.10.20.02 or latest version before updating to this BIOS."

Or to F40:
Note:
  1. If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F32 before F40
  2. Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR incompatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU.

Read that list and instructions thoroughly.

Solution