Upgrading from amd to intel

Old_fritz

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016
Hi I'm upgrading from an amd 8320 to an Intel i5 7600k. This means a new motherboard and ram. Are there any steps I need to take when swapping out the mobo, cpu, and ram. And if so what do I need to do?

Solution

Actually a correction on this advise.
IF you bought this as a OEM (HP, Dell, etc.) computer you will need to buy a NEW COPY of Windows. You can NOT use the OEM edition that came with it, it will refuse to install, repair, etc. due to it being ONLY sold with the Original Equipment which your changing out.

If you 'built this myself' model, and it is a "off the shelf" copy of Windows, then yes best practice has always worked to completely wipe and start CLEAN reinstall of Windows. Then proceed with drivers, Antivirus, Antimalware and then the apps you want to use on it.

Old_fritz

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016

I know how to build a computer, I meant if there are any drivers or anything I need to uninstall

Actually a correction on this advise.
IF you bought this as a OEM (HP, Dell, etc.) computer you will need to buy a NEW COPY of Windows. You can NOT use the OEM edition that came with it, it will refuse to install, repair, etc. due to it being ONLY sold with the Original Equipment which your changing out.

If you 'built this myself' model, and it is a "off the shelf" copy of Windows, then yes best practice has always worked to completely wipe and start CLEAN reinstall of Windows. Then proceed with drivers, Antivirus, Antimalware and then the apps you want to use on it.

Solution