Upgrading from an 8800gt

hemphill

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Hello, folks.

I have been running a Zotac 8800gt 1gb for about a year now. I mostly play WoW, which doesn't really tax cards lower-end than my dated card but still, every now and again, I will dip down in fps from the standard 60 to the 20s then 30s and them back again to 60 (with or without addons). It makes my skin crawl, I get so mad. I also occasionally play a FPS (COD or something along those lines).
Here is what I'm up against; I'm looking at the GTX 200 line. I am looking at the top 3, the 275, 285 and, of course, the 295. I don't mind shelling out the dough for good stuff if it's really "the &@*#! But if I surely don't want to shell out an additional 200 bucks for "eh, I can notice some difference."
Like I said, I am coming from a virtually no-name 8800gt so any of these will rock, I'm sure. But if I need a single-slot gpu solution and will probably never be playing on anything greater than 22" monitor, will I still be way ahead to shell out the bucks for the 295 over either the 285 or 275?

Thanks for your time

Hemphill

hemphill

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Power supply is immaterial as I will have to upgrade regardless of which one I choose

Intel E8400 (bumped up just a hair)
OCZ Reaper 1066 2gb
XP Home
Biostar TP43D2-A7 (it was cheap and has never given me trouble :))
Currently just using onboard sound (Creative and Nvidia don't play well together, in my experience...dunno why)
currently only running 19 wide monitor (not particularly high res)