[SOLVED] Upgrading from an HDD to an SSD Windows Transfer

trizzet

Honorable
Oct 14, 2015
After 5 years, I am finally building a new computer that is an astronomical upgrade from my old system. I'm going from an i5 4690k, GTX 970, 16 gb ddr3, 1tb HDD to a Ryzen 9 3900xt, RTX 3070 (which I actually managed to pick up already), 32GB DDR4 3600mhz, and a Samsung 970 EVO M.2. The only problem I have with this upgrade is that I want to keep my HDD in my new build, yet I want to run windows off of my SSD. There are some files on my HDD that I just cannot afford to lose. My question is: How can I run my PC off of my SSD without cloning my HDD to it, and is it possible to get windows onto my SSD without purchasing a new copy of it?

Solution
After 5 years, I am finally building a new computer that is an astronomical upgrade from my old system. I'm going from an i5 4690k, GTX 970, 16 gb ddr3, 1tb HDD to a Ryzen 9 3900xt, RTX 3070 (which I actually managed to pick up already), 32GB DDR4 3600mhz, and a Samsung 970 EVO M.2. The only problem I have with this upgrade is that I want to keep my HDD in my new build, yet I want to run windows off of my SSD. There are some files on my HDD that I just cannot afford to lose. My question is: How can I run my PC off of my SSD without cloning my HDD to it, and is it possible to get windows onto my SSD without purchasing a new copy of it?
Easy, don't install old HDD until you install Windows 10 on SSD.
After windows are working...
After windows are working and all drivers etc. updated, connect HDD and you will be able to use it as data drive, delete everything that is associated with old windows on it. No data which you choose to keep will be lost.

Solution

trizzet

Honorable
Oct 14, 2015
After windows are working and all drivers etc. updated, connect HDD and you will be able to use it as data drive, delete everything that is associated with old windows on it. No data which you choose to keep will be lost.
Okay awesome! But how do I go about installing Windows without having to buy a new copy?

Okay awesome! But how do I go about installing Windows without having to buy a new copy?
Do you already have W10 or W7/8/8.1 (retail version) activated on old system ? Best if activated with Microsoft account? You can download latest W10 using MCT (Media Creation Tool) https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 it would download and make a bootable W10 installation USB for you as soon as you sign in your account or enter registration from other windows starting with W7. That would be free just have to use same version like Home or Pro.

trizzet

Honorable
Oct 14, 2015
Do you already have W10 or W7/8/8.1 (retail version) activated on old system ? Best if activated with Microsoft account? You can download latest W10 using MCT (Media Creation Tool) https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 it would download and make a bootable W10 installation USB for you as soon as you sign in your account or enter registration from other windows starting with W7. That would be free just have to use same version like Home or Pro.
Yes! I do have W10 on my old drive. But I am unsure whether or not it is linked to my Microsoft account. Is there a way to check?

trizzet

Honorable
Oct 14, 2015
If you have files on your HDD that you cannot afford to loose you should already have them backed up. Drives can and do fail without warning.

As for installing Windows I agree with above.
How would I go about installing windows on my new SSD without paying for it again? I don't think I still have my disk for W10

How would I go about installing windows on my new SSD without paying for it again? I don't think I still have my disk for W10
As I said before, once you have retail version of W10 activated anywhere, you can download them and install for free as many times as required, You can't use same windows on multiple machines at same time so in theory, W10 on old machine should be deactivated or not used again.