Upgrading from an i5 4430 to an i7 8700, will I need to uninstall old drivers and install new ones?

Nov 13, 2018
I do not want to reformat my hard drive, this is a much needed upgrade for me. How do I go about uninstalling my old drivers and installing new ones? I am fully aware that the motherboard and ram will also be changed out.

Solution

And if you believe that, I have a lightly used bridge to sell you.

Changing to new hardware, it is NOT always...

nuttynut

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2016
CPUs are basically plug-and-play. The drivers are built into Windows. No need to install new drivers (if there was, Windows wouldn't be able to boot anyway), and definitely no need to uninstall any drivers.

The mobo might have some software utility, but you won't need drivers for that either. There should be drivers for LAN and audio, but again, those will almost certainly be optional. And I wouldn't have any idea about RAM drivers.

Nov 13, 2018

At the moment I cannot afford an ssd, my friend did a clean OS installation once he upgraded from an fx 6300 to an i7 4790, the only issue is, his windows 10 is not activated as he did not remember the product key from his windows 7 prior to the free upgrade, I'm afraid I will be stuck in the same boat as I do not remember my windows 7 key either, I just took the free upgrade back then.

Nov 13, 2018

I cannot afford a ssd atm, but my psu is a corsair cx 750, would that be sufficient?

Nov 13, 2018

So I should be ok if I take out the old mobo, cpu, ram, install the new mobo with the i7, install the new ram, and plug everything I currently have back in and it will be just fine?

USAFRet

Titan

And if you believe that, I have a lightly used bridge to sell you.

Changing to new hardware, it is NOT always plug and play.
If it were just the CPU, sure. A motherboard swap is not always that kind.

Basically, 3 possible outcomes if you just put the old drive in with the new motherboard:
1. It boots up just fine
2. It fails completely.
3. It boots up, but you're chasing little issues for weeks.

Windows 10 is better than previous versions, but still nowhere near 100%.
Prepare for a full wipe and reinstall. It may not be needed, but you'll be glad you did.

Also, again assuming Win 10, licensing/activation issues come into play.
Read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html

Solution
Nov 13, 2018

Thank you!, I will link my windows with my microsoft immediately, I figured a wipe would be in order, thanks for all the resources.

nuttynut

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2016

Hmm. I'm doing a new build myself with old drive. I guess the first time I got lucky, so we'll see.