Upgrading from an i5 6600k to 9th Gen Intel or Ryzen

KFI

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
I currently have an i5 6600k at stock clock speeds (only running a stock cooler as well). I also recently got an EVGA RTX 2070 XC Gaming card. I've noticed that for certain games like AC Origins and BFV, that I'm getting serious FPS drops. Knowing that those games are CPU intensive, I figured that the 6600k isn't cutting it anymore with the 4 cores it has, and has become a bottleneck for the system. I also don't plan to just get a new CPU cooler and overclock the 6600k, I'd rather upgrade at this point. So the question is if I should go for one of the 9th Gen Intel CPUs, either the i5 or i7, go for the Ryzen 2000 series to save some money, or wait till the Ryzen 3000 series CPUs come out. Which would be the best option to see a boost in performance for the price, and would be more futureproof?

Jan 27, 2019
For pure game, I prefer i7 9700k. Intel is beast for single core performance, 8 core is more than enough for future proof. If you want to wait Ryzen 3000 series which the price still not announced yet, well it's depend on you.

If you want intel, I'd say go 8th gen tops. The intel i7 8700K is still pretty nice, while the 9th gens aren't much of an upgrade (and cost much more)
Ryzen would definitely be more future proof because it has more cores.
As for waiting for the 3000 series vs getting a 2000 series, I think it just depends if you want to save money or if you want to wait and get some more performance. Personally, I would get a 2700X.