Upgrading from EVGA Gtx 960 to either a Radeon RX 480 8gb vs Radeon R9 FURY

SquackingLemon

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017
I know very little about all the technical aspects or which is enter than which.

After checking out a bunch of threads online they seem to both gave pros/cons and I'm having trouble deciding what to upgrade to.

For reference I'll be using it to play high end games (witcher 3) on the highest available settings at 1920p.

I've currently got an i7-6700, w/ EVGA NEX750g power supply, but I don't know if the increased power draw from the Fury will hurt me or not.

For a more in depth description I've linked a reddit thread I wrote on the same issue:
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/5mz41c/need_help_figuring_out_what_to_upgrade_for_more/

mlga91

Admirable

The RX 480 is usually cheaper, so i'd go with that one, plus, those 8GB can come in handy in the future if you plan to do crossfire, that PSU will do fine with two 480s.

The 480 is not on par with the fury they are relatively close, but the additional frame buffer of the 480 is a bonus as is the far lower power consumption on the 480, on that note the 480 is going to see more substantial performance improvements over the next 2 years, while the fury will also see these improvements they will not be enough to keep ahead of the 480 in the long run.

480 is cheaper, uses far less power, has more features, it is newer and will see further performance as the drivers mature vs the fury which is definitely faster at the moment and has considerable advantage where resources are concerned also note the 4GB fram buffer is plenty at 1080P and so long as you do not exceed 2560x1440 the fury will likely always lead the 480 by a few frames in most titles.

SquackingLemon

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017

I don't plan on going past 1920x1080, as I don't see what the benefits of that are, as well as that's all my 3 monitors are setup for.

So out of the 2 you would still say that the RX 480 would be the choice here? Right now the fury is about 20$ cheaper, but I haven't factored in shipping and all that crap.

SquackingLemon

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017

SquackingLemon

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017

Sorry, I suppose I have 1 more question. I bought my computer pre-built as a Dell XPS 8900. The motherboard is showing up as an xps 8900, though no websites have any benchmarks or info on that, so I can't tell how good it is... Is it worth upgrading that first.

Try to download CPU-ID

SquackingLemon

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017

Sorry haha, 1 more question relating back to GPU's, I was doing some googling and found this: http://hwbench.com/vgas/radeon-rx-480-vs-radeon-r9-fury

Whats your take on all that? I was pretty much sold on the RX 480, but this seems to throw a wrench in it.

TRENDING THREADS