[SOLVED] Upgrading from GDDR5 to GDDR5X or GDDR6 graphics cards

Aug 20, 2020
Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my current graphics card (R9 380) to a GTX 1660 Super. R9 380 uses GDDR5 memory and the 1660S uses GDDR6. My question can I do this (will the change in memory have any affects that I should know about)?

Solution
First of all, the ram type used in a graphics card is entirely independent of anything else.
You are good there.

Next, the r9-380 is a relatively power hungry card.
Turns out that a GTX1660 super will use less power.
So, if your psu is not giving you a problem now, go ahead and change out your graphics card.
Here is a handy chart of what power is required for various graphics cards:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
Aug 20, 2020
The change in memory doesn't matter. The GPU uses it. GDDRwhatever on the GPU means little to the rest of the PC.

I'd be uneasy making any kind of recommendation without exact PSU. Shektron asked that question for a very good reason.
Thanks for the reply, I gave my PC specs in the link above here it is anyway My PC it’s an OEM. PSU is 500W

DSzymborski

Titan
Thanks for the reply, I gave my PC specs in the link above here it is anyway My PC it’s an OEM. PSU is 500W

No, exact PSU. Not "OEM" because that doesn't tell us who manufactured or things like the amps available on the +12V rail. "500W PSU" is no more an exact PSU than "four-door car" is your make of car. This is absolutely crucial information.

Reactions: Shektron
You need to open up your PC and check the details on the PSU itself, like mentioned the information you have given us about the PSU is not enough for us to determine whether the PSU can handle the 1660 Super. But, considering it's an OEM system, I'm guessing it won't be a very good PSU and you should probably replace it.

First of all, the ram type used in a graphics card is entirely independent of anything else.
You are good there.

Next, the r9-380 is a relatively power hungry card.
Turns out that a GTX1660 super will use less power.
So, if your psu is not giving you a problem now, go ahead and change out your graphics card.
Here is a handy chart of what power is required for various graphics cards:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Solution