[SOLVED] Upgrading from GTX 1060 to RTX 2070 super?

yaboibaron

Reputable
Oct 12, 2017
Hello! I currently have an i7-6700k, gtx 1060, 32gb ddr4 ram, and 1 tb ssd. I plan on upgrading my monitor to a 1080p 144hz and i also want to upgrade my gpu. Ill upgrade my cpu in the future but I was wondering if an RTX 2070 is worth it? and will i notice a difference in fps and performance? my 1060 now falls behind but i just want to make sure my i7-6700k wont bottleneck my 2070 super. If it will, would it be okay to get for now? thanks for all the help!

Solution
Make sure you have at least a Bronze rated 650watt PSU for the upgrade. 2070 Super will be a good upgrade. You might want to wait for the RTX 3000 series to try to get lower prices on older cards or even a new 3000 series for around the same price and performance.
There are some total crap Bronze rated psu’s, bronze rating is not a rating of quality and not a way to judge psu’s. Some cheap garbage psu’s even lie about their ratings.

At this point though my opinion is wait for 3000 series. Also make sure you have a high quality psu, don’t risk a new gpu in a low end psu. Once 3000 series releases we can say if 550 or 650w is enough. I’ve seen a few articles suggesting that 3000 series may end up using more power than 2000 series...
Hello! I currently have an i7-6700k, gtx 1060, 32gb ddr4 ram, and 1 tb ssd. I plan on upgrading my monitor to a 1080p 144hz and i also want to upgrade my gpu. Ill upgrade my cpu in the future but I was wondering if an RTX 2070 is worth it? and will i notice a difference in fps and performance? my 1060 now falls behind but i just want to make sure my i7-6700k wont bottleneck my 2070 super. If it will, would it be okay to get for now? thanks for all the help!
No there will be no bottleneck at all and a major boost in FPS is expected when jumping from a 1060 to a 2070S

Make sure you have at least a Bronze rated 650watt PSU for the upgrade. 2070 Super will be a good upgrade. You might want to wait for the RTX 3000 series to try to get lower prices on older cards or even a new 3000 series for around the same price and performance.

Reactions: HardStroke
Jun 10, 2020
if your 1060 is still working perfectly wait for RTX 3000 series.
pretty sure you could get a 3060 and if not, after the 3000 series will launch im pretty sure you could get a 2080 maybe even a 2080 super for the price of the 2070 super right now.

There are some total crap Bronze rated psu’s, bronze rating is not a rating of quality and not a way to judge psu’s. Some cheap garbage psu’s even lie about their ratings.

At this point though my opinion is wait for 3000 series. Also make sure you have a high quality psu, don’t risk a new gpu in a low end psu. Once 3000 series releases we can say if 550 or 650w is enough. I’ve seen a few articles suggesting that 3000 series may end up using more power than 2000 series but until reviews are out it is speculation.

Solution
Recommending someone buy at minimum a Bronze rated PSU, gives someone at least some kind of guidance when picking a PSU, even if you don't have a recommendation on models available to them. It often times means buying a decent PSU that is within their price range. I've seen so many people have so many issues with their trash-tier 80+/White PSUs, that could have been avoided by just spending a bit more on a better rated PSU or even just buying from a better known and highly rated brand.

I agree, it's not the best way of recommending a PSU, but it's better than just saying a certain wattage without more specific details. From what I have seen online, most decent quality and reviewed 650watt Bronze rated PSUs, should have 2x6+2 or 6+2 and 6 pin PCIE cables. 650watt also covers most GPUs people will be looking to buy because of price.

Recommending someone buy at minimum a Bronze rated PSU, gives someone at least some kind of guidance when picking a PSU, even if you don't have a recommendation on models available to them. It often times means buying a decent PSU that is within their price range. I've seen so many people have so many issues with their trash-tier 80+/White PSUs, that could have been avoided by just spending a bit more on a better rated PSU or even just buying from a better known and highly rated brand.

I agree, it's not the best way of recommending a PSU, but it's better than just saying a certain wattage without more specific details. From what I have seen online, most decent quality and reviewed 650watt Bronze rated PSUs, should have 2x6+2 or 6+2 and 6 pin PCIE cables. 650watt also covers most GPUs people will be looking to buy because of price.
It is unreliable, potentially misleading and could end up buying a psu with a false sense that it is acceptable quality. The key point here is you have read reviews. We should be suggesting reading reviews and/or asking for a budget and then suggesting options.