[SOLVED] Upgrading from GTX 690

mrcanada11

Prominent
Oct 31, 2019
Like the title says, I have an older GeForce 690 that has been pretty sweet, but I can't run some of the games I've wanted to. I'm looking to upgrade to a "mid-tier" so I can run a smooth 60 fps at 1080p (yes, it's an older Dell 60 Hz, so I can't do 4K at 144 fps, nor would I try.)

Current specs -
Mobo - MSI B150M Bazooka
CPU - Intel I7-6700
WD HDD 1 TB
PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 650 FX
RAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 Mhz DDR4

Just looking to be able to play games like The Division 2 without stuttering. Hoping to keep my costs down (Don't need a Super 2080 anyway!)

Thanks for the recommendations!

Solution
The GTX 1660 Super is not bad. However, the RX 5600 XT comes in at slightly more than the 1660 Super, and slightly outperforms the RTX 2060.

So, if they're cheap enough, go for the 1660 Super. However, if going higher, given the price points, I could never endorse the RTX 2060 when the RX 5600 XT has a slight edge over it in performance, and is definitely lower in price.

mrcanada11

Prominent
Oct 31, 2019
Thanks for the suggestions - anyone know which brands are better than others? I've seen probably 6, all around the same price. Caveat - I don't and won't like to "overclock" - I'd rather the parts run cool for ten years than melt like a blowtorch to the mobo in two....

Also, anyone know where to find used ones? I see them for about $230 new (no real problem), but used ones on eBay are going for $250-300 after shipping...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The GTX 1660 Super is not bad. However, the RX 5600 XT comes in at slightly more than the 1660 Super, and slightly outperforms the RTX 2060.

So, if they're cheap enough, go for the 1660 Super. However, if going higher, given the price points, I could never endorse the RTX 2060 when the RX 5600 XT has a slight edge over it in performance, and is definitely lower in price.

Reactions: mrcanada11
Solution
Jul 29, 2020
Thanks for the suggestions - anyone know which brands are better than others? I've seen probably 6, all around the same price. Caveat - I don't and won't like to "overclock" - I'd rather the parts run cool for ten years than melt like a blowtorch to the mobo in two....

Also, anyone know where to find used ones? I see them for about $230 new (no real problem), but used ones on eBay are going for $250-300 after shipping...
I personally would go with Asus or EVGA because their gpus are cooled very well and some of the higher end ones are factory overclocked so you will get more performance without having to do anything yourself. For the graphics card though I would say either a 1660 super or a used 2060, but if you want just pure gaming performance than go with a 5600xt because even though it is worse than both for streaming and recording it will have great gaming performance for the price. :)

Reactions: mrcanada11

TRENDING THREADS