Upgrading from GTX 970

Anthony Baker

Reputable
Jun 11, 2015
I'm currently running an i7-8700k with 16gb of DDR4 ram and GTX 970. I've been milking the 970 for a while now and honestly it's been pretty solid. Most of the games I play are FPS games on my 1080p 144 hz monitor. Is it even worth holding out for RTX series or getting a 1070 ti? I'm finding 1070 ti's on ebay for less than $300. I feel like if I get a RTX gpu then I'll have to upgrade my monitor. What are your guys thoughts?

Solution
If I understand your post, you do not want to upgrade your monitor and you are still getting adequate performance from your 970. If I were you, I would wait for the full launch of all 2000 series GTX/RTX cards before making my decision. You'll then have a chance to see how the 2000 series card bench against the 1000 series cards. Also if a high graphically demanding game were to be released between now and then (that you'd like you play) you can make a more informed decision, as to which model to purchase.
If I understand your post, you do not want to upgrade your monitor and you are still getting adequate performance from your 970. If I were you, I would wait for the full launch of all 2000 series GTX/RTX cards before making my decision. You'll then have a chance to see how the 2000 series card bench against the 1000 series cards. Also if a high graphically demanding game were to be released between now and then (that you'd like you play) you can make a more informed decision, as to which model to purchase.

Solution