[SOLVED] Upgrading from HDD to M.2 Help needed

Sep 27, 2019
Hi all,

This evening I am attempting (Again as tried with my other ssd I got) to make an SSD boot drive, this time it being an NVME SSD. Last time I messed it up and my smaller SSD didn't get selected as the boot drive. This time round I have a 1TB M.2 SSD and I just want to make sure it goes smoothly.

As I understand the steps are as follows;
  1. Back up any wanted files
  2. create a USB windows 10 install device
  3. go to bios and set the usb as the priority
  4. boot into the windows 10 usb
  5. select the M.2 SSD as the windows boot drive
  6. install windows
My main issue is last time it went back on the HDD... through my own fault most likely!! as a recommendation should I disconnect the other devices (my other ssd and my HDD) from my MOBOs SATA ports so only the M.2 is recognised for the windows install??

if all goes well it should be very fast as I did my brothers install on an NVME SSD and installing windows took roughly 5-10 mins~

Cheers in advance, Kieran.

Solution
disconnect ALL other drive
then after install.
reconnect the drive. go to bios to make sure the boot seq is the new os drive
Sep 27, 2019
especially the HDD/"C:" Drive?

And what is the best way to wipe drives? as I don't want any conflictions from the old files/directories when I freshly install windows this time round

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, disconnect ALL drives except for the new M.2
Boot from the USB you create and install.
Reconnect other drives later.

Sep 27, 2019
Yes, disconnect ALL drives except for the new M.2
Boot from the USB you create and install.
Reconnect other drives later.

Cheers mate,

Best way to fully wipe my other storage so when I reconnect it, its all "like new" to my PC??

Sep 27, 2019
Also do I need to go into windows as it is now and make the M.2 like visable to windows, as I had to do this to my old SSD
?? Something along the lines of go into storage seetings and right click in there to add new devices IIRC??

USAFRet

Titan
Also do I need to go into windows as it is now and make the M.2 like visable to windows, as I had to do this to my old SSD
?? Something along the lines of go into storage seetings and right click in there to add new devices IIRC??
No.
That all happens during the install on that drive.
Boot from the Win 10 USB you've created, and it should see it during the install.

Sep 27, 2019
No.
That all happens during the install on that drive.
Boot from the Win 10 USB you've created, and it should see it during the install.
Do nothing to the M.2 just install it when ready to make it the boot drive? sorry for being so (lets face it stupid hahah) just don't want to mess it up second time round