Question upgrading from i3 2120 to i7 3770 and i heard the chipset might not support the i7

Oct 14, 2021
i have an Hp rp5800 system it has i3 2120, 16 gb of ram and a Nvidia Gt 1030 i want to upgrade the cpu to an i7 3770, but i heard my might not support the i7. can someone help please because i have the i7 but i am afraid to install it.

Hey there,

From what I can see here: HP rp5800 Point of Sale System Specifications | HP® Customer Support your mobo supports up to an I7 2600. This is an excerpt of an Intel agent replying to a customer, who had the same query:

:KArla - can you tell me if the new i7-3770 processor will ever be supportred on the Q67 chipset? And specifically, willthat processor ever work in the DQ67SW motherboard?

Karla:Hi Bill; since the processor is already launched and no compatibility support was developed for the Q67, thisprocessor will never support such chipset or motherboard.

:eek:k - thanks, thats all I needed to know.

Karla:More than glad Bill have a very good day

Karla:Thank you for using Intel's live chat. If you are satisfied with our support, please score items with 5 in the onlinesurvey that will be shown once you close this chat window. We value your feedback and we will use it to improve ourservices.

<Moderator Note: Fixed formatting>

Reactions: Killleader29

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Specifications doesn't list 3rd gen so most likely no bios support but i7 2600 is just as good, really, and a significant upgrade over the i3.

Buying second hand though, you'll want to be supplied with stock cooler designed for the i7 with that purchase. Don't be expecting to cool the chip with your current cooler designed for a lower tdp model.

Reactions: Killleader29
Oct 14, 2021
thank you all for the reply. so what i understand is that i cant run the i7 3770 on my pc, is there a way it can work, cuz i already have the i7 3770, can i try to install it, like is it safe to install it like nothing will be damaged?

thank you all for the reply. so what i understand is that i cant run the i7 3770 on my pc, is there a way it can work, cuz i already have the i7 3770, can i try to install it, like is it safe to install it like nothing will be damaged?

They are essentially the same socket, but, it's unlikely it will even post with the 3770. Without support, there will be no bios to allow it to boot. There's a chance it may boot, but likely it will not function correctly. I'm not sure if there's much point.

The time to ask for advice is BEFORE you buy.
No harm will come if you properly install the 3770 and it does not work.

Be VERY careful to drop a cpu into the motherboard cleanly.
If you need to smoosh it around to seat it, you will damage motherboard pins with unpredictable results.

I might do some more google searching to see if anyone else has actually succeeded.
No need to risk damage if it is definitely not going to work.

Oct 14, 2021
Thanks to all of you who answered my question, i am really pleased by your effort of helping me. i got the i7 from a friend, i think i will try to install it in my pc and hope it works. so there is no harm in installing it, like no short circuit or frying the mobo? like if it works it works and if not there will be no harm right?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Geofelt's post clearly laid it out. There's no danger in installing an unsupported Ivy Bridge CPU as the chips are electrically the same. You could break something with a sloppy physical installation, but that goes the same for a Sandy Bridge CPU.

Basically, the issue is simply that your motherboard doesn't have the microcode that enables it to "speak with" the Ivy Bridge CPU. That would no more cause it to break than your brain will break if someone asks you a question in a language you don't speak.

TRENDING THREADS