Upgrading from i5 3570k

xSamaru

Reputable
May 20, 2014
Hello guys, the time has come to upgrade my good old 3570k since i finally feel it lacking in games using 144hz monitor.

I am looking at this :

Intel Core i7-9700K + Dark Rock Pro 4
GIGABYTE AORUS Z390 ELITE or ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING (?)
HyperX 16 GB KIT DDR4 3200 MHz CL18 Fury Black Series
The Psu will stay and im waiting for new radeons since my monitor has freesync but 290x is still going strong.

My question is, is that cpu enough for lets say for next 4-5 years of gaming or should i go for something like 9900K? I read that it gets really hot and the difference is 200€ so its a really hard decision for me, i can afford it but im not sure its necessary.

I chose that gigabyte motherboard because ive read good things about it on this forum and its also cheaper than that asus but if you have any other suggestions what so ever in anything please tell me.

Is the psu still more than enough for that cpu and probably new radeon card?

I just want to buy a great quality hardware so i dont have worry in the next few years.

I will game at high fps 1080p probably since i dont really care about the 4K quality.

thank you guys.

No cpu is future proof, but take mine as an example, I've got a 4770k back from 2014 and I dont plan to change anytime soon, unless i finally find a game where i cant play on max settings @ 1080p.

Now, you said you'll be playing @ 1080p , cpu wise you'll be entirely fine for a long long time, UNLESS, some revolutionary new tech comes up forcing an upgrade, wich i very very much doubt. now since moore's law is sorta dead, every new generation is coming up with diminishing returns, i.e. not worth upgrading if you have the previous gen. again, I've 4th gen haswell and so far i'm skipping 5 generations of cpu's without missing anything whatsoever.

so you'll be fine really, though only thing thats the debatable there is the hyperthreading, this 9700k has 8 cores 8 threads, while the previous generation 8700k has 6 cores 12 threads... they have sorta the very same performance, i think however the 9900k has 8 cores 16 threads, but, is it worth it? personally i dont think so, to me 8/8 sounds fine still.

that PSU is overkill unless you want to do a SLI or crossfire, 850w will last a long long time provided its a good psu quality wise.

xSamaru

Reputable
May 20, 2014
Thank you, guys on reddit recommend me to to change the ram to G.SKILL 16 GB KIT DDR4 3000 MHz CL16 Gaming series Aegis since its better value. also im still not sure about the motherboard, what do you think?

oh I despise asus since i got a row of faulty mobos, today I use MSI cuz of their alledgely millitary class capacitors and shizzle, tho since its running for 5 years without issues i guess it works.

now in between these two... lets see, they're very similar, the difference here is what you want for your buck. the asus is full of useless flashy things and aura lightning and yadda yadda features thats just there to fill in the sack if you really care for flashies and fancies. though it has support for sli with 2x16 pcie that will run at 8x each in case you do sli, the aorus seems to be only capable of crossfire of some sort, if you gonna always use only 1 GPU, then they are the very same. asus has some on board rog supreme FX yadda yadda audio x the aoru's ALC 1220 which is a proven audio chip, imo, they're frankly the very same thing quality wise, probably. asus just putted in there some fancier names and all but i dont see any immediate difference on these two onboard audio chips.

the features that really matters, as in, how many USB headers and ports they have looks a bit like the same, asus has an extra usb 3.0 gen 2, but aorus has 2 extra usb 3.0 gen 1 on the back wich is more available ports in the end.

both has same overclocked ram support, and same m.2 support and yadda yadda....

ok lets wrap this up, personally i'd pick the cheaper one wich im guessing its the gb aorus, the asus comes with some flashy things and shinies that adds nothing to the performance whatsoever so... uh, lol, its your choice. pick whatever is cheaper.

xSamaru

Reputable
May 20, 2014
Couldnt care less about flashy bios and freaking aurora in the case. Im not a master overclocker... if you know any other motherboards that are good id love to take the recommendation, the most selling one on the website where im buying from is MSI MAG Z390 TOMAHAWK but i know nothing about MSI...

The thing is, any Z390 motherboard will do the trick, but you'll have to read the specs and see if you need what it provides over that. The chipset is the foundation, then some boards will offer higher ram clock speeds possibilities, more usb headers, more pci-e slots, flashy lights, bla bla blas and yaddas. ends being about how much you want to spend for feature you may or may not ever need.

now lets take a quick look at that MSI MAG, its a z390 chipset, there thats the main thing you need, then it offers up to 4400mhz ram O.C, the other ones you posted before could go up to... I think, 4166 or was it 4266. well you 3200mhz ram will never reach that so theres one feature you dont need, it has 3 pci-e x16 slots, thats also overkill, you aint gonna like... place 3 graphic cards there, you just need 1 PCI-e x16, it looks like i has 2 ethernet adapters oh my, its been 10 years i dont look at a dual ethernet adapters board. You don't need it. 4 gen 1 usb 3.0, 4 gen 2 usb 3.0 one being a type C usb, this is pretty much standard but see it offers an extra usb port over the other boards.

then it comes the bunch of fancy names, flashy lights and yaddas that just add to the price. all of these 3 boards you said will perform the SAME, but some has more features (that you probably wont use like extra PCI-e ports or flashy lights) that will add to the price. so... im unsure what to tell you here, between these 3, i'd go for the cheapest.

oh but then again MSI claims that they use some military grade capacitor shizzles, it could be just random boasting, but the thing is that MSI boards worked well for me, and thats why i keep on with them. ah... I miss the time where manufacturers would fight each other not with colorful led craps, not with weird shaped metal plates that contribues 0% with passive cooling, but actually over who has more phase regulators...