[SOLVED] Upgrading from i5 9600k to i7 9700k worth it(for gaming)?

8bitFunk

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2014
Hard to find much current performance info on either. The 9th gen Intel chips got pretty well swept under the rug. From what I've found, in 8 out of 10 (older)games the performance of either chip is pretty identical. However, in those couple games out there that are more cpu intensive you can see as much as a 20% boost in FPS with the i7. I'm also wondering, as far as future performance, is the performance gap between these two procs only going to grow larger, or stay the same? So, anyways I have a 300series 1151 mobo and am wondering if it would be worth it 'topping out' the socket with one of higher end procs of that generation? They're all very cheap, now. I can also get $86 back for my 9600k from SellGPU, bringing my overall investment down to about $200.

Also, GPU-wise I always go for the mid end cards, have a 5600XT, currently. If that's at all relevant.

Solution
Worth is something only YOU can determine.
Go to ebay and find 9600K or 9700K.
Filter on completed auctions and you will see what that item actually sold for.
As to performance, the 9600K has 6 threads and a passmark performance rating of 10914.
That is when all 6 threads are 100% busy. The single thread performance is 2809. That is usually more important to games. It sells for $125 or so on ebay.
The 9700K has 8 threads and a rating of 14561/2909
Really not a big jump unless you play multiplayer games where many threads help.

I might add that if you have a Z motherboard capable of overclocking, some 25% better cpu performance should be available.
As to performance, the 9600K has 6 threads and a passmark performance rating of 10914.
That is when all 6 threads are 100% busy. The single thread performance is 2809. That is usually more important to games. It sells for $125 or so on ebay.
Really not a big jump unless you play multiplayer games where many threads help.

I might add that if you have a Z motherboard capable of overclocking, some 25% better cpu performance should be available.

Last edited:
Solution

8bitFunk

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2014
If money is not a problem, why not? It's 2 more cores + 2 threads + clock + cache.
And I agree with popatim, your 9600k worth more then $86
Haha, I know lol. Just lazy and want the easiest selling solution. SellGPU sends you a box and label and is really hassle free. May try and sell it to a local pcparts shop in town, see if they want it.

Anyways, yeah I'm more and more leaning towards buying the i7. If I'm stuck on the 300 chipset, may as well make the best of it.

Reactions: LeviTech

I'd agree with this, it wouldn't be a worthwhile enough upgrade to me were I to be in that position. A 9900k would, you go from 6 to 16 threads, whereas a 9700k would only get you an extra 2.

I have a 3700x and I'd rather have one of those nowadays than an 8-thread 9700k, even though the i7 has slightly better IPC. Multiplayer games seem to love threads.