humzy12

Great
BANNED
Jun 6, 2020
i do alot of video editing
after effects
c4d
3d max
i need render speed,preview speed in time-line.
will AMD Threadripper 3970X do the job and is that the best one money can buy.
what if i had option to go for intels best cpu what will you guys say i need answers.

Intel Core i9-10900K
. AMD Threadripper 3970X
  1. Intel Core i9-10980XE
  2. AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
  3. AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  4. AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  5. AMD Ryzen 3 2200G
  6. AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
All those statements that I marked in quotation were taken from the Puget Systems guides that I linked earlier, if you couldn't be bothered to take a look at them.
They are not my own words.

i want more cores with thunderbolt ethernet enabled port.
i hope Threadripper 3960X is good for rendering sir, the 3990x will be over kill and am thinking if i should go for it
Well, if Thunderbolt is a must, then you might want to subtract Threadripper. "TB support isn't great on the Threadripper platform."

am not looking to over clock the cpu so it last longer so do i need water cooling
That should be obvious if this is for work; stability > everything else. Overclocking adds an extra point of instability.

and why do you say...
after effects
c4d
3d max
what if i had option to go for intels best cpu what will you guys say i need answers.

Intel Core i9-10900K
. AMD Threadripper 3970X
  1. Intel Core i9-10980XE
  2. AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
  3. AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  4. AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  5. AMD Ryzen 3 2200G
Nothing can match that Threadripper3990x but oh boy, you listed everything, and of course they would all work but slower each with own speed. Just depends what you are willing to pay for.

humzy12

Great
BANNED
Jun 6, 2020
So what's the question, if you want best, that's the one.
Threadripper3990x does amd cpu get hotter than intel.
people say amd is better than intel so if i got this cpu will it render fast in after effects even 1080p or 4k.

can this run games on high settings will it bottle neck using gtx 980 ti

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

humzy12

Great
BANNED
Jun 6, 2020
Did you look at the prices ?
i7-10700k: 395 $
ryzen 7 3700x: 300 $
ryzn 3950X: 710 $
AMD Threadripper 3970X: 2,015 $
AMD Threadripper 3990x: 3,600 $

And look at the 2nd link posted by Phaaze88
Does this justify the price difference for you ? And we are talking here at x10 the price
i want the best. i do not want to buy then figure out render is slow later. i want to buy best of the best cpu

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
will Threadripper 3990X with gtx 980 ti botte neck
In WHAT? This question is too vague.

Games: the higher the resolution, the greater the graphics horsepower needed.
Performance-wise, the 980Ti is roughly equivalent to a 1660 - numbers 24 and 25 on the linked list.
At best, this gpu is a 1080p card in modern titles.

Rendering: this was answered in the link in my other post.
"On the GPU side, while After Effects can take advantage of the video card to process GPU-accelerated effects, you are almost always going to be limited by the performance of your CPU. We have found in our testing that even a mid-range GPU will be similar in performance to a high-end one. Because of this, we will be using the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB on this (and all the other) configuration."
The old 980Ti will be fine here.

"For the system memory, we will be using 32GB of RAM since After Effects is a memory hungry application. Each frame you render is stored in RAM preview so that Ae doesn't have to re-render the frame each time you hit play. With more RAM, you can store more already rendered frames, which lessens the chance that Ae will have to re-render frames that haven't change."
The focus should be on cpu and ram.

"However, if you also work with Premiere Pro or DaVinci Resolve, you may want to bump the GPU up to a n RTX 2080 SUPER or even an RTX 2080 Ti. But since this post is focusing on After Effects in particular, we are instead going to put more of the budget towards significantly more RAM (128GB) as well as a dedicated Samsung 970 Pro 512GB drive for the disk cache. Even with 128GB of RAM, having a dedicated drive for the disk cache can be very important - not least since it will be able to store the frames from RAM preview between working sessions."
You were specifically stating After Effects, but I added in this quote too just in case.

"For the best possible performance in After Effects, we will be using the AMD Threadripper 3960X 24 core processor. AMD does have CPUs with even more cores (the Threadripper 3970X 32 core and 3990X 64 core), but they are actually slower in applications like After Effects. So, in this case, we do not want to simply go with the most expensive option and instead will be using the less expensive and faster Threadripper 3960X. The one downside to this platform is that Thunderbolt is not as established as it is on Intel-based platforms, so if Thunderbolt support is a requirement, you may opt to use the "better" configuration even if you have the budget to go with AMD Threadripper."
Bam! There ya go. 3970X and 3990X are too much, and are actually worse.

"With the AMD Threadripper 3960X, not only do we get a small bump in performance, but also the capability to have 256GB of RAM. This allows for more frames to be stored in RAM preview and lessens the chance that Ae will have to re-render frames that haven't changed which can greatly increase your productivity. More than the performance from the CPU itself, the ability to have this much RAM is what really sets this system apart from the "Better" configuration."
More food for thought.

Last edited:
after effects
c4d
3d max

Intel Core i9-10900K
. AMD Threadripper 3970X
  1. Intel Core i9-10980XE
  2. AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
  3. AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  4. AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  5. AMD Ryzen 3 2200G
I can tell that you already know the answer because there's no CPU on Earth more suited to the tasks you perform than the TR-3990X. That's the one for you! (y)

humzy12

Great
BANNED
Jun 6, 2020
In WHAT? This question is too vague.

Games: the higher the resolution, the greater the graphics horsepower needed.
Performance-wise, the 980Ti is roughly equivalent to a 1660 - numbers 24 and 25 on the linked list.
At best, this gpu is a 1080p card in modern titles.

Rendering: this was answered in the link in my other post.
"On the GPU side, while After Effects can take advantage of the video card to process GPU-accelerated effects, you are almost always going to be limited by the performance of your CPU. We have found in our testing that even a mid-range GPU will be similar in performance to a high-end one. Because of this, we will be using the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB on this (and all the other) configuration."
The old 980Ti will be fine here.

"For the system memory, we will be using 32GB of RAM since After Effects is a memory hungry application. Each frame you render is stored in RAM preview so that Ae doesn't have to re-render the frame each time you hit play. With more RAM, you can store more already rendered frames, which lessens the chance that Ae will have to re-render frames that haven't change."
The focus should be on cpu and ram.

"However, if you also work with Premiere Pro or DaVinci Resolve, you may want to bump the GPU up to a n RTX 2080 SUPER or even an RTX 2080 Ti. But since this post is focusing on After Effects in particular, we are instead going to put more of the budget towards significantly more RAM (128GB) as well as a dedicated Samsung 970 Pro 512GB drive for the disk cache. Even with 128GB of RAM, having a dedicated drive for the disk cache can be very important - not least since it will be able to store the frames from RAM preview between working sessions."
You were specifically stating After Effects, but I added in this quote too just in case.

"For the best possible performance in After Effects, we will be using the AMD Threadripper 3960X 24 core processor. AMD does have CPUs with even more cores (the Threadripper 3970X 32 core and 3990X 64 core), but they are actually slower in applications like After Effects. So, in this case, we do not want to simply go with the most expensive option and instead will be using the less expensive and faster Threadripper 3960X. The one downside to this platform is that Thunderbolt is not as established as it is on Intel-based platforms, so if Thunderbolt support is a requirement, you may opt to use the "better" configuration even if you have the budget to go with AMD Threadripper."
Bam! There ya go. 3970X and 3990X are too much, and are actually worse.

"With the AMD Threadripper 3960X, not only do we get a small bump in performance, but also the capability to have 256GB of RAM. This allows for more frames to be stored in RAM preview and lessens the chance that Ae will have to re-render frames that haven't changed which can greatly increase your productivity. More than the performance from the CPU itself, the ability to have this much RAM is what really sets this system apart from the "Better" configuration."
More food for thought.

i hope Threadripper 3960X is good for rendering sir, the 3990x will be over kill and am thinking if i should go for it

am not looking to over clock the cpu so it last longer so do i need water cooling

and why do you say i should go for Intel Core i7 10700K 8 Core ?
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...-PC-for-Adobe-After-Effects-Summer-2020-1829/

will that be fast? and cheap in budget wise to save money or what

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...-PC-for-Adobe-After-Effects-Summer-2020-1829/

All those "super-duper" CPUs need very good cooling and usually don't come with one.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
All those statements that I marked in quotation were taken from the Puget Systems guides that I linked earlier, if you couldn't be bothered to take a look at them.

Well, if Thunderbolt is a must, then you might want to subtract Threadripper. "TB support isn't great on the Threadripper platform."

That should be obvious if this is for work; stability > everything else. Overclocking adds an extra point of instability.

I did not say 'you should get the 10700K'. The quotations were not my own words.
I initially linked 2 guides, which should've helped narrow down your options substantially...
A)TR 3960X, IF you can let the poor Thunderbolt support slide.
B)10900K, if you really need proper Thunderbolt support.

All those "super-duper" CPUs need very good cooling and usually don't come with one.
This has me a little puzzled.
Why are the Puget Team just using coolers like these in their test systems?
AMD Threadripper 3rd Gen Test Platform
CPUAMD TR 3990X ($3,990)
AMD TR 3970X ($1,999)
AMD TR 3960X ($1,399)
CPU CoolerNoctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3
MotherboardGigabyte TRX40 AORUS PRO WIFI
RAM4x DDR4-2933 16GB (64GB total)

Intel X-10000 Series Test Platform
CPUIntel Core i9 10980XE ($979)
Intel Core i9 10940X ($784)
Intel Core i9 10920X ($689)
Intel Core i9 10900X ($590)
CPU CoolerNoctua NH-U12DX i4
MotherboardGigabyte X299 Designare EX

Even the mainstream AMD and Intel platforms just have an NH-U12S.
Source here.

Solution

humzy12

Great
BANNED
Jun 6, 2020

I did not say 'you should get the 10700K'. The quotations were not my own words.
I initially linked 2 guides, which should've helped narrow down your options substantially...
A)TR 3960X, IF you can let the poor Thunderbolt support slide.
B)10900K, if you really need proper Thunderbolt support.

This has me a little puzzled.
Why are the Puget Team just using coolers like these in their test systems?
AMD Threadripper 3rd Gen Test Platform
CPUAMD TR 3990X ($3,990)
AMD TR 3970X ($1,999)
AMD TR 3960X ($1,399)
CPU CoolerNoctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3
MotherboardGigabyte TRX40 AORUS PRO WIFI

Intel X-10000 Series Test Platform
CPUIntel Core i9 10980XE ($979)
Intel Core i9 10940X ($784)
Intel Core i9 10920X ($689)
Intel Core i9 10900X ($590)
CPU CoolerNoctua NH-U12DX i4
MotherboardGigabyte X299 Designare EX

Even the mainstream AMD and Intel platforms just have an NH-U12S.
Source here.
if i dont get thunderbolt will my ethernet speed receive 1gbps port speed?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/afte...ing-can-anyone-solve-this/td-p/9770374?page=1
after effects uses 1 core only??????