[SOLVED] Upgrading from Intel to AMD

JankoPosvacal

Commendable
Jun 1, 2020
Hello everybody, I am currently upgrading from i5 2500k to Ryzen 5 2600. It was pointed out to me in my previous thread that I should wipe my SSD and do a fresh install of the Windows. One person said that it might work but it might not as well. I wanted to ask in advance if anybody has experience with this kind of issue.

Thank you in advance

Solution
Yes, a lot of people here sort of have experience in building PC's and working with OS's

To expand on what was said:

When changing hardware like this, there are 3 possibilities:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

Old Intel -> New Ryzen?
#2 is highly likely.

Do a clean install.
Might work might not. That's the truth.

I have had swapped my SSD from my Ryzen 5 system to several intel systems and back many times. Usually works, sometimes it just won't boot or will have unusual performance.

It is always a best practice to reinstall.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, a lot of people here sort of have experience in building PC's and working with OS's

1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely

Old Intel -> New Ryzen?
#2 is highly likely.

Do a clean install.

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
Old Intel -> New Ryzen?
#2 is highly likely.

Do a clean install.
Same answer from me this is his original post I told him to post here.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...de-of-my-current-build.3613303/#post-21791332

JankoPosvacal

Commendable
Jun 1, 2020

1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
Old Intel -> New Ryzen?
#2 is highly likely.

Do a clean install.
Okay, so I'm not sure this means you guys were partially wrong but I have just plugged the SSD to my wife's PC. It's a fairly old system running an AMD Athlon X4 760K, socket FM2 with an MSI board but don't know the specifics of that, all I know is that it is a Military Edition or something along the lines. You guys think, this might mean that it would work with the Ryzen?

JankoPosvacal

Commendable
Jun 1, 2020
Just like I said it might work but probably will not hit and miss just try it and see.

It can boot fine but when you start using programs you could start having issues.
Hey, I wanted to ask since I'm done backing up files from the SSD. I've been looking into it for about an hour now and didn't find a clear answer as to how to format it. Some videos said that I can do it in Windows (which would be just fine , since it is currently hooked up to another machine and it isn't booting from the SSD), or that I can do it while installing Windows on the new machine. Which way would be the easiest? I'm assuming the former but another opinion wouldn't hurt. Thank you

USAFRet

Titan
Hey, I wanted to ask since I'm done backing up files from the SSD. I've been looking into it for about an hour now and didn't find a clear answer as to how to format it. Some videos said that I can do it in Windows (which would be just fine , since it is currently hooked up to another machine and it isn't booting from the SSD), or that I can do it while installing Windows on the new machine. Which way would be the easiest? I'm assuming the former but another opinion wouldn't hurt. Thank you
During the clean install (instructions linked above) is just fine.

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
You could always give it a shot, W10 is much better than previous versions when transplanting between systems. If you have weird issues you could fresh wipe it with a new installation.

I'd suggest a fresh install anyway, however.

As for formatting, just run the Windows installer. If you blow away the partitions on it and hit next, Windows will repartition it and throw a fresh NTFS volume on there for you.

I'd disconnect any other storage devices during installation to avoid any data deletion accidents.