Question Upgrading from intel to ryzen, will my windows 10 key stay on ssd from oem motherboard

rjcard32315

Commendable
Jul 29, 2018
I have a prebuilt from asus, i use an ssd as my boot drive and once i transfer it to my new pc with ryzen, will windows 10 stay activated on the drive even with a new motherboard?

If you make an account with windows 10 the licence get's linked to this account so you can even clean install on the new hardware and login with that account and you will be licensed.

To your question, probably yes but depends on the type of licence you have.

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
You might already face problems getting Windows to recognize your changed hardware after the swap.
Safest bet is always a complete reinstall of Windows, especially if you change something as essential as the motherboard. You can, however, try your luck by having the device manager scan for changed hardware (right-click on your PC name in device manager).

USAFRet

Titan
I have a prebuilt from asus, i use an ssd as my boot drive and once i transfer it to my new pc with ryzen, will windows 10 stay activated on the drive even with a new motherboard?
There are two issues here:

1. Operation - Will it boot up?
Maybe, maybe not. Probably not.
You can try it, but be prepared for a full wipe and reinstall

2. Licensing - Will the license from the Asus transfer to a whole new PC. Probably not.
A preinstalled Win 10 is about the only case where you can't transfer it to new hardware.

A new Win 10 license is maybe 10% of the whole PC cost.
Solution: Sell the Asus to finance your very own Win 10 license.

rjcard32315

Commendable
Jul 29, 2018
Read these, for possibly transferring the license to new hardware.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/windows-build-1607-and-activation.2786960/[/URL

If that does not work, you WILL need a new OS license for your new PC.
Again, this is just for the licensing, not the actual booting up and operation
There are two issues here:

1. Operation - Will it boot up?
Maybe, maybe not. Probably not.
You can try it, but be prepared for a full wipe and reinstall

2. Licensing - Will the license from the Asus transfer to a whole new PC. Probably not.
A preinstalled Win 10 is about the only case where you can't transfer it to new hardware.

A new Win 10 license is maybe 10% of the whole PC cost.
Solution: Sell the Asus to finance your very own Win 10 license.
What if i got my embedded license key from windows shell, could i just use that key for my fresh install?

USAFRet

Titan
What if i got my embedded license key from windows shell, could i just use that key for my fresh install?
Not necessarily. That preinstalled OEM license on a prebuilt system is for that system.
Just because you can discover the license key, does not mean it is usable on other hardware.
And yes, the activation servers know the difference. It might even report as OK initially, but then come back as "No" later.

You can try it.
From my above links, try to link that license to your Microsoft account.
Install the OS in your new hardware.
Then, try to use that license with the install.
Or, go to your MS account and attempt to link that license to your new hardware.

If it works, great.
If it fails...you simply have a (mostly) fully functional Win 10 install, which you can later apply a valid license key that you purchase.

rjcard32315

Commendable
Jul 29, 2018
Not necessarily. That preinstalled OEM license on a prebuilt system is for that system.
Just because you can discover the license key, does not mean it is usable on other hardware.
And yes, the activation servers know the difference. It might even report as OK initially, but then come back as "No" later.

You can try it.
From my above links, try to link that license to your Microsoft account.
Install the OS in your new hardware.
Then, try to use that license with the install.
Or, go to your MS account and attempt to link that license to your new hardware.

If it works, great.
If it fails...you simply have a (mostly) fully functional Win 10 install, which you can later apply a valid license key that you purchase.
Okay, when i go to my windows activation it says digital license linked on my Microsoft account. I only have one signed in Microsoft account on the widows store since i occasionally get the 1 dollar game pass offers. If i just sign in to the new motherboard will it theoretically transfer?

rjcard32315

Commendable
Jul 29, 2018
Q1: In the event that this license transfer works, what will you do with the old hardware, now lacking its Windows license?

Q2: What is your overall budget for this new PC?
I didn't think about my older pc, with the new activation i suppose the windows licence will just go away? Since the cpu is reasonablly good (i5 4460) i could just scrap it and sell it for parts.
400 USD, i already bought my needed parts:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kgcPr6
Main reason i moved to AMD was simply upgradebility

TRENDING THREADS