Upgrading from MSI B150 Mortar Arctic to MSI Z170M Mortar HELP

Jan 4, 2019
Im pretty much a n00b at computer hardware. I bought this PC about 2 years ago, its a decent little gaming rig, coming with a 1050Ti SSC and an i3-6100, 8gb RAM and a SanDisk SSD. The MoBo is the (rather attractive looking) MSI Mortar Arctic B150. Since buying it 2 years ago, I have upgraded to an i5-6600K and MSI GTX 1060 OC Armor. (Currently waiting on a Gigabyte 1070 8gb). A few days ago, I finally got my new MoBo in (MSI Z170 Mortar) so I can finally take advantage of the 6600K and OC a bit. This is a MicroATX form factor PC.

Since everything I upgraded so far was essentially Plug and Play, for some reason I figured it would be the same with swapping out MoBo's, but alas, no such luck.

I put everything back together, got a USB 32gb thumb drive, downloaded the Windows Media Creator tool, formatted the USB drive, rebooted to the BOOT menu, chose the USB stick, and reinstalled windows (i dont care about any of the data on this computer/hard drive). Im at the point now where I feel as though I am messing something up.

After some EXTENSIVE google searching and YouTube videos, I am having one hell of a time actually finding what I would call a work-flow, or step-by-step Old > New MoBo tutorial. So I guess my question is, can SOMEONE please break it down to me so I know what steps need to be taken in order to get the new MoBo to boot up to windows? I just joined here today for this exact reason. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am more than happy to explain in detail what is going on, etc.

Thanks!!
Garrett

Solution
no need to go back to old PC.
Clean install win 10 on new PC. When asked for licence, click "i don't have one"
when setting up users, link the Microsoft account to new user
on new PC once windows installed
Go to settings/update and security/activation
run the activation troubleshooter

you shouldn't need to deactivate win 10 on old PC, it should automatically deactivate once you activate it on new PC. If you only use new one from then on, it will never deactivate on new one.
Jan 4, 2019

I was under the impression that I needed to "reinstall" (thus wiping the hard drive and re-partitioning) Windows on the old MoBo so the hard drive is wiped of all the drivers etc because that was the 1st problem I ran into, the new MoBo was not being recognized/there was a conflict with the new one because, I guess, the hard drive was thinking it was still the old MoBo but there was a completely different one.

Jan 4, 2019
So, with the new MoBo currently installed and everything hooked up, I turn the system on with the USB stick plugged in? What should be on that drive then? Because I plugged it in with the old MoBo and ran the Microsoft Media Creator tool...does that mean that USB stick has what I need to boot up on the new MoBo to install windows?

I need to get home after work and try that out, but last night it was just.......not working as expected. What exactly do I need on the USB stick then? I think that is where I am running into issues.

Jan 4, 2019

Format boot drive, meaning format the USB stick or my hard drive?

Colif

Win 11 Master
How to clean install win 10

change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html
when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and we can worry about activation again once finished

Now was your user on old PC attached to an email address that you used to register win 10? Reason I ask is for activating your license on new PC, you can't just move windows without telling MIcrosoft or PC will deactivate based on different hardware.

you will need to know your Microsoft login

Go here and login to user
Under devices, click manage
login again
click show details & then Device info and support
Does it show your old PC? if it does, its likely your licence is linked to your account already

Look here under Reactivate license after a hardware change to move your activation to new PC - link

if it doesn't show PC it could mean license is still tied to motherboard of old PC. You may need to contact MIcrosoft after the install to get licence moved to new PC

Jan 4, 2019

THANKS for all the information...I did what you said and logged into MS.com and, under devices, my computer is indeed listed as my only device. So I assume that means my copy of windows is "activated on the old motherboard as of right now.

when I get home, (the new mobo is already in the computer as we speak) ill stick the USB drive with the install media on it, boot up the computer, spam F11 (or DEL whichever) to get into the MSI bios menu, set the USB as Boot #1 and then SSD as boot #2....1 question, shouldnt Windows installer automatically format the drive? I already deleted the original partitions etc when doing the re-install yesterday, or is there another step I am not aware of (formatting the SSD)?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try the reactivation steps as only 1 device is normal since you can only have Win 10 on 1 device at a time. It showing old device may mean its linked to your user and password you used to login.

Custom install will format drive, if Win 10 already on drive it may just use what is there now and over write it. Better to clean it all and start fresh on a new PC.

Jan 4, 2019

So then Im guessing that I need to re-install the original motherboard so I can get into windows desktop, go into "This PC" and physically format the C drive myself, THEN go back to the new motherboard, hook it all up, switch boot order, THEN Windows installation should start up and do it's thing on the New MoBo....?

EDIT

And ALSO "Remove This PC" on Microsoft.com under "My Devices" so that the Windows version I have now is "deactivated" from the old MoBo and can then be installed, and activated on the new MoBo...

I hope that all sounds right, I tend to over complicate things but this is obviously a bit daunting for someone who has never swapped a MoBo before.

Colif

Win 11 Master
no need to go back to old PC.
Clean install win 10 on new PC. When asked for licence, click "i don't have one"
when setting up users, link the Microsoft account to new user
on new PC once windows installed
Go to settings/update and security/activation
run the activation troubleshooter

you shouldn't need to deactivate win 10 on old PC, it should automatically deactivate once you activate it on new PC. If you only use new one from then on, it will never deactivate on new one.

Solution
Jan 4, 2019

OK thank you (and everyone else so far) for all the helpful information, and especially patience!! Once I get home tonight I will try all the above mentioned advice and hopefully everything goes smoothly. I will CERTAINLY report back with any questions or issues.

Thanks again, and I am very happy with joining this site today. Very helpful and courteous people on here!!

Cheers,
G