Question Upgrading from MSI GTX 970...

ampalaea4

Commendable
Feb 27, 2019
Hello all. I have an NVidia MSI GTX 970 graphic card. I think it start showing its age. I play MMOs mostly, but on Black Desert I play on medium graphics settings (recommended). I already have the card for like 3 or 4 years, its time to change it :p

The thing is, I dont wanna spend a fortune on a new graphics card. Is there a reasonable priced card 250-350 Euro, that also make a visible difference from my 970? Also I wanna say that I play on a Full HD monitor and dont plan to go for 4k anytime soon (because graphic cards that can deal with 4k in good settings are super expensive now).

My System is:

Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming M5
CPU: Intel Core i5 6600k @ 3.50GHz
GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 970 Tiger OC
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB @ 2400MHz DDR4
SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB

And lastly, would it make sense to only upgrade my Graphics Card for gaming? Or my CPU is also considered "old"?

Thanks in Advance!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The gtx1660ti performs somewhere in between the gtx1070 and rtx2060, so even though it's cheaper, has less power requirements, it performs better. The only advantage the 1070 holds over the 1660ti is the extra 2gb of ram, and that those levels you'll only see that in a very few, high ram usage games at 1440p or higher.

Depends on the game. For low thread games like LoL, cs:go or most esports titles, then your cpu is just fine. It'll only be in the high thread games like Witcher 3 or WoW or gta:v where the game is optimized for upto 8 thread usage, that you'll suffer fps drops when the cpu starts hitting 100% usage. Only way to get around that is with the i7. It's a common theme with 7th gen or prior i5's, i3's that are running 4c4t.

Last edited: