Upgrading from MSI H87 to MSI Z97, is there anything I need to do before I switch?

fullthrottle2002

Reputable
Dec 9, 2014
As the title states, I am going from an MSI H87 to an MSI Z97. I am wondering if there is anything that I need to do to prepare for the upgrade, or if this would be more of a plug it in and it works scenario? I currently have Windows 8.1 installed on an SSD and a secondary HD for games and other programs. All other components besides the case are going to be exactly the same. I'm getting mixed answers about needing to wipe my drives before, or that all the drivers should be about the same and that no problems will arise.

Thanks for any help.

Apart from installing the new Motherboard's driver set (included on the Motherboard's CD or via the Manufacturer's Website ) you'll find that all your old components should be completely compatible with the new board.

The only possible exceptions being very, very old components that were less than at the bare minimum supported by the last Motherboard.

iamlegend

Admirable
You will be needing to re install your Drivers. Although you can try not re-installing them but if you have specific programs from your previous Mobo (RAMDISK) that will be a problem. So, try first and if you experience problems, re install your drivers.

mlga91

Admirable
You'll need to reinstall windows with the new motherboard, its not like "i'll just swap the hard drive and make windows boot on the new motherboard" 99.99% you get a boot error, so, do a good backup from your OS drive, and be sure of having he new mobo drivers before the swap, it will be easier that way.

Best of luck!