Question Upgrading from r5 2600 to r7 5800x

Aug 7, 2022
Hi guys, so recently my pc has been struggling to keep up with some of the code projects i have been working on as they are both CPU and ram intensive. I built my pc about 3 years ago with the intention of keeping it relatively new for a few years, so i knew this day would come. Iv been needing to upgrade and today I decided Id do so. My current specs are ryzen 5 2600 with a 1060ti and then a tomahawk b350 mobo and 16 gb of ram. I am upgrading my ram to 32 GB. which all show in my boot menu and settings, but still only says i have 16gb useable, but my issue lies when i set my new CPU. The MSI website says the tomahawk b350 supports the ryzen 7 5800x, but doesnt specify how many ram channels it supports.

So whats happening. When i have the CPU in and put 1 stick of ram from either my new kit or old kit, it boots. If i put any more than 1 in it turns on but does not post. Iv tried letting it sit for 30 mins but with no luck. Someone mentioned it could be a bad CPU, but im thinking its more of my board does not support the r7 5800x with 4 channels or ram. Does anyone know for sure?

Hi guys, so recently my pc has been struggling to keep up with some of the code projects i have been working on as they are both CPU and ram intensive. I built my pc about 3 years ago with the intention of keeping it relatively new for a few years, so i knew this day would come. Iv been needing to upgrade and today I decided Id do so. My current specs are ryzen 5 2600 with a 1060ti and then a tomahawk b350 mobo and 16 gb of ram. I am upgrading my ram to 32 GB. which all show in my boot menu and settings, but still only says i have 16gb useable, but my issue lies when i set my new CPU. The MSI website says the tomahawk b350 supports the ryzen 7 5800x, but doesnt specify how many ram channels it supports.

So whats happening. When i have the CPU in and put 1 stick of ram from either my new kit or old kit, it boots. If i put any more than 1 in it turns on but does not post. Iv tried letting it sit for 30 mins but with no luck. Someone mentioned it could be a bad CPU, but im thinking its more of my board does not support the r7 5800x with 4 channels or ram. Does anyone know for sure?
You need to update the bios for full support of the new cpu use the old CPU to due so

Ryzen is dual channel operation only.
It does not matter if 2 or 4 sticks are installed.
Your motherboard should be fine.
Likely, your problem comes with a mismatched set of ram sticks.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, particularly Ryzen can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

You can sometimes compensate for errors by increasing the ram voltage in the motherboard bios.
With two running sticks installed, increase the ram voltage in the bios above the default and set your desired speed and settings.
Sometimes, this will let things run.
To be certain you did good, test with memtest.
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

If all else fails, buy a matched 32gb ram kit that is explicitly supported for your motherboard for the 5600X.

Reactions: white.a.drew

Go back to the 2600 cpu and get the ram to work proper.

Aug 7, 2022
Ryzen is dual channel operation only.
It does not matter if 2 or 4 sticks are installed.
Your motherboard should be fine.
Likely, your problem comes with a mismatched set of ram sticks.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, particularly Ryzen can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

You can sometimes compensate for errors by increasing the ram voltage in the motherboard bios.
With two running sticks installed, increase the ram voltage in the bios above the default and set your desired speed and settings.
Sometimes, this will let things run.
To be certain you did good, test with memtest.
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

If all else fails, buy a matched 32gb ram kit that is explicitly supported for your motherboard for the 5600X.
Ok, i will try this out. Could it be because one set of ram is 3000mhz and the other is 3200? I haev the two 3000mhz in slot 1 and 2 and the others in 3 and 4

Ok, i will try this out. Could it be because one set of ram is 3000mhz and the other is 3200? I haev the two 3000mhz in slot 1 and 2 and the others in 3 and 4
The motherboard must run all ram at the same speed, timings and voltage.
3200 speed ram usually needs more voltage than 3000 speed.
The motherboard will run ram at the lower of the two speeds.
This is not good for ryzen processors, their performance is dependent on ram speed.
It is possible that you can never get this particular combination of sticks to run together at all.

Reactions: white.a.drew