[SOLVED] upgrading from R9 Fury to GTX 1660 Ti worth it ?

Feb 24, 2019
Hi,

I'm looking for an affordable upgrade to extend the lifespan of my current build.
I was wondering if an upgrade to a GTX 1660 ti over my R9 Fury was worth it?

Here are my specs:
MB: Z170x Gaming 3
CPU: i5 6600 3.30
RAM: vengeance lpx 16gb ddr4-3000

Please note that I only play at 1080p

any input is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
Your cpu wouldnt allow for a new gpu to give you any more performance.

That's not very accurate. An i5-6600 is considered fast enough for most games, just not quite fast enough to fully utilize the high-end GPUs in CPU-heavy titles. The GTX 1660 Ti is not a high-end GPU, and even if we were talking about an RTX 2080 the i5-6600 would definitely allow more performance than the R9 Fury has to offer.

That said, I would suggest holding out for a better GPU such as an RTX 2060 or even a 2070. TomsHardware's 'Ultimate Bottlenecking Guide' shows the i5-6600 will only bottleneck a GTX 1080/1070 in "worst case scenarios." That doesn't mean you won't get more performance, that just means you won't get the most performance you can get...
I mean it is faster and I would rather have a GTX 1660 Ti over an R9 Fury, but that's not a big upgrade. It's just one step up from what you have, except you're only getting 6GB of vram.

The GTX 1660 Ti costs half as much as your R9 Fury did new. I'm just not seeing it as a good upgrade.

Reactions: OldGunner
Feb 24, 2019
I mean it is faster and I would rather have a GTX 1660 Ti over an R9 Fury, but that's not a big upgrade. It's just one step up from what you have, except you're only getting 6GB of vram.

The GTX 1660 Ti costs half as much as your R9 Fury did new. I'm just not seeing it as a good upgrade.

I paid $367 CAD for my R9 Fury on sale back in November 2016 I have a buyer for it at $180. in the end this upgrade would cost me around $210.

Last edited:
Your cpu wouldnt allow for a new gpu to give you any more performance.

That's not very accurate. An i5-6600 is considered fast enough for most games, just not quite fast enough to fully utilize the high-end GPUs in CPU-heavy titles. The GTX 1660 Ti is not a high-end GPU, and even if we were talking about an RTX 2080 the i5-6600 would definitely allow more performance than the R9 Fury has to offer.

That said, I would suggest holding out for a better GPU such as an RTX 2060 or even a 2070. TomsHardware's 'Ultimate Bottlenecking Guide' shows the i5-6600 will only bottleneck a GTX 1080/1070 in "worst case scenarios." That doesn't mean you won't get more performance, that just means you won't get the most performance you can get from that GPU.

Solution
Yes, but it wouldn't be by a lot and it would still be faster than the R9 Fury. Except maybe in those rare titles that AMD outperforms Nvidia (Ashes of the Singularity, Hitman, etc.), which is one reason I would say to get an even faster GPU than the GTX 1070/1660 Ti.