Upgrading from Release Preview

Apropo

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
I saw somewhere that there is an upgrade for $39.99 but does anyone know for certain that it will work with the release preview? I ask because when you go to the microsoft website to purchase the upgrade it states "for previoius versions of windows only" and then directs you to another section that has an upgrade for $69.99

does anyone know the difference and if the $39.99 copy would work?

The upgrade version will only activate when upgrading from a licensed copy of Windows XP, Vista or 7. If you installed the RP as a clean install you will have to install your previous OS and activate again. IF the RP was installed as an upgrade to an existing copy of Windows it should activate - but you won't be able to save settings, apps or files when upgrading from a pre-release of Windows 8. Back up anything important before starting the install process. If it won't run from within the RP you'll have to burn to a disk and boot from that.

Hi :)

Link for that info please as MS were VERY insistent that its NOT allowed... with the UPGRADE DISC ??

All the best Brett :)

Sorry, if I was unclear. You can install the preview then buy a upgrade for the $39 and install it and get validated. I did not keep my app settings. Yes, Microsoft did indicated you can not upgrade from the preview. That is upgrade and keep all your settings. You can run the upgrade installer, and make a disk image and do a clean install.

The only reason I mention that is still works on 11/20/2012 is because I did the process on my wife win8 preview machine on that date.

from the SetupAct.log The OS before the install was:
DetectedVersion = 6.2.8400.0 (this was the build number of the preview she had running)

after the install I have version 6.2 (build 9200)

I read Microsoft FAQ where they said you could not upgrade from the preview.
I think they changed this to mean that you can not to a in place upgrade and keep all of your settings. You can still "upgrade" and do a clean install using win8 preview as a validated base.

But how did you install the RP? If that was an upgrade over a previous version that old key would still have been locked away in the registry somewhere. If the RP had been installed on a clean drive it should not work according to MS.

I got my key, used the key here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only
and downloaded a OS image that I made into a cd dvd image.
I booted the image, started the setup, entered my key (valid key), during the install I deleleted all the partitions on my SSD, created a new partition (the new setup also created a 350mb partition in addition to the one I created) and did a clean install.

The image on the SSD before the install was a preview release. I have no idea if the CD install even checked for something from the old system before it formatted.

After the install and boot the system and activates with the Microsoft server.
I don't think you will find your key in the registry anymore (but not sure)
OEMs did have a key stored in BIOS you could read but I have a clone machine and my BIOS serial number is not set

Apropo

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

So if what I gather from what you are saying is true. I made a fresh clean install of the release preview on a system and now want to upgrade, what you are saying is that the $40 upgrade should work?

TRENDING THREADS