[SOLVED] Upgrading from RX 480 8GB + want to play Alyx (VR)

MagnaFarta

Reputable
Jun 9, 2017
Hello everyone.

Please could you help me select a new GPU. Currently using a MSI RX480 8GB, but I have decided to upgrade my entire system, spurred on by a desire to play Alyx.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: whenever i can get best deal (prepared to wait) BUDGET RANGE: £220-300 ($260-403)

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming. I mainly play Counter strike, but I keep coming across games i'd like to play (red dead redemption), but my spec is not good enough. Also, I really want to play the VR game, Alyx, on my Quest 2, but my RX 480 8GB is supposedly not good enough. Basically, I am looking to upgrade from my MSI RX480 8GB gpu.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: MSI RX480 8GB + EVGA G2 1300 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT 3.8 GHz 6-Core; Motherboard:MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4; Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16; Storage: Drevo X1 120 GB 2.5" SSD + Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" SSD; Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower
See full build here: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/DPcqqs

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: no supplier pref, but UK based please. examples inc Scan, AWD, currys, PC world, ebuyer, ccl, novatech

PARTS PREFERENCES: no pref

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe, but not a deal clincher. SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe, but not a deal clincher

MONITOR RESOLUTION: current max 1920x1080 (acer s240hl), but would consider upgrading

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Needs to be able to play Alyx comfortably, and be reasonably future proofed. Also - merry festive greetings to you!

Solution
SLI and Crossfire is definitely not a deal clincher; they are both basically dead. I would get a RTX 3060ti if you can manage to get your hands on one. It will go over your budget somewhat. I know in the US they are $400 minimum. The 3060ti would be a great budget card, as it performs better than the previous-gen RTX 2080 and 2080 Super. For the 3060ti, you would be able to run 1440p at 144hz very well. AMD, as of yet, has nothing to compete with the 3060ti. But, if the 3060ti is too expensive for you, then maybe waiting a little bit longer would be your best option, because AMD will probably release the lower-tier GPU's, and seeing AMD's history of pricing vs Nvidia, AMD's option will probably be cheaper. In my opinion, it is a...
Nov 11, 2020
SLI and Crossfire is definitely not a deal clincher; they are both basically dead. I would get a RTX 3060ti if you can manage to get your hands on one. It will go over your budget somewhat. I know in the US they are $400 minimum. The 3060ti would be a great budget card, as it performs better than the previous-gen RTX 2080 and 2080 Super. For the 3060ti, you would be able to run 1440p at 144hz very well. AMD, as of yet, has nothing to compete with the 3060ti. But, if the 3060ti is too expensive for you, then maybe waiting a little bit longer would be your best option, because AMD will probably release the lower-tier GPU's, and seeing AMD's history of pricing vs Nvidia, AMD's option will probably be cheaper. In my opinion, it is a question of if you want the GPU now, or if you want to wait for a cheaper option.

Reactions: MagnaFarta
Solution

MagnaFarta

Reputable
Jun 9, 2017
SLI and Crossfire is definitely not a deal clincher; they are both basically dead. I would get a RTX 3060ti if you can manage to get your hands on one. It will go over your budget somewhat. I know in the US they are $400 minimum. The 3060ti would be a great budget card, as it performs better than the previous-gen RTX 2080 and 2080 Super. For the 3060ti, you would be able to run 1440p at 144hz very well. AMD, as of yet, has nothing to compete with the 3060ti. But, if the 3060ti is too expensive for you, then maybe waiting a little bit longer would be your best option, because AMD will probably release the lower-tier GPU's, and seeing AMD's history of pricing vs Nvidia, AMD's option will probably be cheaper. In my opinion, it is a question of if you want the GPU now, or if you want to wait for a cheaper option.

Thank you - this is great advice. I am happy to wait for now, but I am also conscious that this RX 480 8gb I'm sitting on is will drop in value while i wait (and also will following any new AMD card). I could sell it now, and just be GPU-less until the new AMD cards, I guess. Depends upon when these new AMD cards are likely to be released? Do you have a guess here?...

Nov 11, 2020
Not an accurate guess, but AMD probably won't let Nvidia steal the low-mid price market, so hopefully not too long. There are rumors of the rx6700 and 6700xt will released in early January. Your 480 would be a decently priced cell at probably something like $150 or so.