Question Upgrading from RX 5700 to rx 6700 XT worth it?

dragnelus

Reputable
Nov 25, 2018
Hello,

I use the rx 5700 as a rx 5700xt, now I can buy the rx 6700 XT for around €350,- second-hand.

Is this worth it? I can try to sell my rx 5700 after but dont know for what prices it goes around lately.

Worth is something only YOU can determine.

What kinds of games do you play?
Run this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you will get a good improvement with a graphics upgrade then I think you would want an even stronger upgrade.

Do you know the seller?
Is this an ebay sale?

dragnelus

Reputable
Nov 25, 2018
Worth is something only YOU can determine.

What kinds of games do you play?
Run this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you will get a good improvement with a graphics upgrade then I think you would want an even stronger upgrade.

Do you know the seller?
Is this an ebay sale?
Games like horizon zero dawn, god of war, Overwatch, world of warcraft.

It's from a second hands platform we use in our country, he lives maybe at 20 min driving so I'm gonna test it at his house.

I got an Ryzen 5 3600

It's from a second hands platform we use in our country, he lives maybe at 20 min driving so I'm gonna test it at his house.

I got an Ryzen 5 3600

Right now, with the GPU world imploding since Ethereum has changed it's process, is not a time to buy a second hand GPU (unless all your after is a cheap deal - too good to be true type!). Even if someone says 'it hasn't been mining'. There are scrupolous people out there, and alll they want to do is shift their GPU's and get some return.

I've never bought secondhand for GPU's. I never will. No matter how cheap they are, or how the previous owner represents it.

Not worth it.

logainofhades

Titan

I got an Ryzen 5 3600

For WoW, and Overwatch, a cpu upgrade to a 5600 or better, would be the better choice here. Blizzard titles are very CPU heavy. I have a friend that had a rig similar to yours. He upgraded to a 5600, and was amazed at how much smoother WoW ran on his rig. I experienced the same, when I went from a 3700x, to a 5800x, even when I was still using my RTX 2060, @1440p.

SomeGuyonTHW

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
You should ask yourself do you REALLY need that FPS gain from 5700xt to 6700 & you don't have any better options? Don't just buy because you can & there's a seemingly good deal out there (I used to be like this, I regret it)
AMD slowly gets their RX 7000 series out in upcoming months, I know everyone just says wait but now things are close, if you don't really need it now waiting could be good, worst case is still better, there's a good chance older cards prices drop depending on where you live, or there's a better newer card with the same price, I'd assume RX 7600 XT will be around 300-ish (baseless)

dragnelus

Reputable
Nov 25, 2018
Thnx all, I bought the gpu. So far I really like it, at 100% fan I almost don't hear the fans as at my old gpu it sounds like a jetplane. He still had a warrant, I went in his house l, he got a nice rig and upgrading it with Rx 6950 /, he still had receive (warrant for a year).

My fps went up lot and I used it with Sam.